Close

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Going slightly out of order again...

Instructions say to do this AFTER installing some of the turbo exhaust pipes, but I liked doing this with less stuff in the area. The cooling fan shroud needs to be trimmed to make room for the turbo itself (especially for a turbo blanket), and also for the silicone connector leading into the throttle body.

I used the Dremel with a routing bit again, then cleaned things up with a sanding drum bit.

I actually had to go back and trim some more that what I have done in the picture after everything was installed. Just double check for sufficient clearance as you install stuff, and remember that the engine shakes around a bit. Especially pay attention to clearance for the lower forward portion of the turbo blanket when you install that. I discovered that part of the fan shroud was tearing a hole in my turbo blanket, and luckily had just barely enough room to get the Dremel in there for some more trimming with the turbo fully installed (turbo blanket removed, though).

EDIT: Oops... forgot to mention that the coolant overflow reservoir needs to be temporarily moved out of the way right around this time to give you more room to work. It just lifts right out. We even popped the hose off the reservoir so we could set it aside safely, rather than have it still sitting around somewhere in the engine bay, tethered to the radiator with a hose.
    Last edited by UselessPickles; 07-07-2014 at 09:54 AM.