Quote Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
bump bump...
Oops. Sorry.

Manual transmission fluid change was pretty straightforward. There's two gotchas:

1) The stock exhaust blocks direct access to the drain plug. There's various ideas out there for making your own tool, or buying a specific tool for the job. I think I found the simplest solution. Buy a 17mm allen socket like this:

And pound the allen bit portion out of the socket. It's now a very short allen wrench with no handle. There's enough room to fit that between the exhaust and drain plug, then use a 17 mm open end wrench to turn it.

Use some aluminum foil to cover the exhaust and form a makeshift funnel for the draining fluid.

2) You need a bottle pump to transfer fluid from the bottle into the fill hole. The one I ordered online didn't work. It didn't fit the threaded opening of the bottle of fluid I had, and the style of pump relied on the bottle being sealed to build pressure. I picked up another bottle pump at a local auto parts store that still didn't fit my bottle, but also didn't rely on a pressure buildup to function properly.

Here's a full writeup with a more complicated custom tool suggested: http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...ission-service