Close

Page 29 of 45 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
    Crap... I just realized that some of my boost calculations in past discussions may have been wrong.

At some point, I had come across something saying that to convert from inHG to PSI, you simply divide by 2. It turns out that's just a rough approximation. To make it more fun, some of the boost numbers I have reported in the past were valid, and others may not have been valid, and there's no way for me to know which is which. Some data logs gave me atmospheric pressure directly in PSI (if the log started recording before the engine was started, then manifold pressure = atmospheric pressure). Other data logs required me to convert the logged barometric pressure to PSI. Sometimes I used an online conversion tool. Other times, after reading the "divide by 2" claim, I was lazy and just divided by 2. I don't know if I used this lazy approach with any of the number I actually reported online.

I do know at least that the most recent boost curves that I posted are correct (both before and after fixing my exhaust leak).

BTW... if any boost numbers were calculated wrong, they would low by about 0.2-0.3 psi

Quote Originally Posted by FieryRobot View Post
    Would a supercharger just start to behave badly at altitude, or will you just get less boost?
    It should not behave badly. You would just get less boost at higher elevations.

Quote Originally Posted by FieryRobot View Post
    I am concerned about passing smog tests later (my truck is new enough to not worry for a while, but it will happen eventually).
    The turbo kit will definitely not pass emissions tests. It won't even pass a visual inspection, because the crankcase breather vents to atmosphere. The BOV venting to atmosphere may also be an automatic fail. If you get the turbo, you'd be taking a gamble on the idea that you could modify the kit to recirculate the crankcase breather back into the air filter (through an oil catch can), swap out the lower section of the BOV for the recirculating body and connect it to the air filter, then hope that you can find a performance shop to make a custom tune for you that passes emissions tests. You might even need some custom work done to the exhaust to add a bigger catalytic converter. The high-flow cat in the turbo kit seems pretty small, and is probably bare minimum in functionality.

Prodigy has told me that they have no plans to make their kit pass emissions inspections. If you are seriously interested, call and talk to them about it. Maybe they'll change their mind if they get enough demand for an emissions-compliant kit.

It should not behave badly. You would just get less boost at higher elevations.
    But will the tuning be able to deal with it successfully? That's the 'bad behavior' part I'd be worried about. If it's just less boost/power, I'll live.

Prodigy has told me that they have no plans to make their kit pass emissions inspections.
    Damn. That might be the deal-breaker for me. At least the SCs are trying to get CARB compliance. Though, they've been in that state for some time now...

Yes, supercharger tuning will (should, if done properly) be able to deal with changes in elevations. You would just have less boost/power.

Quote Originally Posted by UselessPickles View Post
    Crap... I just realized that some of my boost calculations in past discussions may have been wrong.
    I went back through some stuff and think that I have confirmed that all boost numbers I have shared were correctly calculated. False alarm

Unhappy

I went back through some stuff and think that I have confirmed that all boost numbers I have shared were correctly calculated. False alarm
    I am using torque App and it showed today 10.9 psi once as a peak value.

Anyway i have received the front shaft and installed it today , i am really happy with it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20141217_114200.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by jeepsking View Post
    I am using torque App and it showed today 10.9 psi once as a peak value.
    That sounds scary. Prodigy told me that the tune is designed to handle up to 9.2 psi. It's possible that Torque just captured a very brief spike in boost as you lifted off the throttle, but before the BOV opened.

I think you need to send me a data log from the inTune so I can compare your boost to everyone else I'll PM you.

That sounds scary. Prodigy told me that the tune is designed to handle up to 9.2 psi. It's possible that Torque just captured a very brief spike in boost as you lifted off the throttle, but before the BOV opened.

I think you need to send me a data log from the inTune so I can compare your boost to everyone else I'll PM you.

Hi,

Today i made my setup same as yours Jeff and it went down to 8.3 and sometimes 7.9 looks like i am gona go back to PD setup (taking vacuum source shared with BOV for the waste gate) and i will send the data later.

Sorry i just read the post and the private message after doing your setup

That makes sense. The Prodigy setup for the wastegate can cause over-boost in partial throttle transitions. Since that setup is trying to get the manifold pressure up to the target (~8.2 psi), there can be part-throttle conditions where the turbo produces more than 8.2 psi prior to the throttle body while trying to make the pressure after the partially closed (restricted) throttle body reach 8.2 psi. In this situation, opening the throttle more reduces the restriction and can cause a temporary surge in boost as that excess pressure behind the throttle body is now allowed to enter the intake manifold.

During full throttle acceleration, it won't make a difference because the pressure is the same on both sides of the throttle body at full throttle.

Hi All, and a happy new year.

its been really busy, I was suppose to give you an update after my stage 2 install, well this is how it all went:
    I have installed the kit at the end of October, the install was a learning curve with a very high learning gradient, I went by the Prodigy install instructions, just mad some changes or actually one, which is the relief tank that I lifted up behind the fan shroud similar to what NOLA did.
    after running the car softly for a brief time or lets say very brief time, I started my first logs which I set to prodigy and my custom tune came back and all was good.
    little did I know that disaster was just around the corner, my engine broke!! and that was a real down time for me, but in a way I was happy to have found out that the turbo was not the cause, but it meant that all the fun had to stop until I can get my hands on a new block.
    so everything came off again and when I got the new engine the install started all over again.
    now everything is going well with regards to the full operation of the car and turbo.
    im hoping to get some logs done so as to start fine tuning the car, and find out what boosts im getting.

will keep you posted