Close

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Before you excitedly start the engine, make sure you install the Prodigy tune with the included Diablosport InTune.

It's pretty painless, but time consuming (possibly an hour or more). This is something that you could do the night before the install so that you really are ready to turn the key after putting the oil in.

First you connect the InTune to an internet-connected computer via the included USB cable. Every time the InTune powers up, it takes several minutes to go through its boot process. The first time you connect to a given computer, it will also take a while for the computer to recognize it, etc. Eventually, an updater application may automatically launch (depending on your exact OS and settings), or you might have to manually launch it (follow Diablosport's instructions).

The updater app will automatically check for updates, download, and install them. You'll have to leave the InTune connected and wait several minutes for it to process the update and reboot.

Once the updater app says it's up-to-date, you can go connect to the OBD port in the Jeep. Several minutes to power up. Then you go through the menu options to install the Prodigy tune. Follow the on-screen instructions, and be ready to do a lot of waiting.

It might tell you that your vehicle requires an update before you can install the tune. If this happens, you just unplug the InTune and take it back to the computer. plug in, wait for it to boot, wait for the updater app to launch (or launch manually if necessary). It will download and install something, probably require you to wait while it reboots, then you can finally go back out to the jeep again, where it will install the update (maybe it waits till you try to install the tune again?), then finally the tune.

Here's an update on my setup of the PCV system. First, a refresher of what I did with the PCV hose (hose from the PCV valve to the intake manifold): http://jeeplab.com/showthread.php?13...ull=1#post2116

What I didn't talk about back then was the other half of the system: the "make up air" hose, which in stock form allows fresh filtered air from the air filter box to enter the crankcase, replacing the air that was sucked out through the PCV valve.

At the time of my previous posts about the PCV system, Prodigy was still working on how to deal with that side of things. When I first received the stage 1 kit, they completely disabled the PCV system and simply tied both vents from the engine together into a road draft tube, which is just nasty, messy and smelly.

When Prodigy sent me the parts to hook up the PCV hose with a check valve, the instructions had me keep the road draft tube hooked up to the "make up air" vent on the engine. This was unacceptable, because air gets sucked INTO the engine through that tube now! That just seemed like a disaster waiting to happen (tires kicking up dust under the vehicle where the end of the tube is, submerging the tube in water, etc). I immediately ran out to an auto parts store and found a breather filter that I was able to rig up satisfactorily to the original make up air hose, but it was kinda ugly and temporary, so i didn't show it off. Prodigy told me at the time that they were still working on finalizing their solution to the make-up air side of the PCV system.

I have since received a small breather filter (smaller than the hideous monstrosity I had rigged up) from Prodigy with a hose coupler that I believe is intended to be used to attach the filter to the end of the rubber hose that had previously connected to the air filter box. That just so happens to be the same curvy rubber hose that I sacrificed to modify the PCV hose (in the link at the beginning of this post) so I could add the check valve into the system while retaining an OEM look with the formed plastic hose.

So here's the OEM "make up air" hose without its curvy rubber hose:

The breather filter conveniently fits right onto the end of that plastic hose:

Highlighted in that photo are:
    • The breather filter.
    • Zip ties holding the heater hoses away from the filter, and also preventing them from touching the intake manifold way in the back.
    • A zip tie holding a small plastic vacuum line up. That vacuum line used to be connected directly to the intake manifold, holding it in place. But now with the rubber vacuum hose used to tee in the BOV sensing line, it wants to fall down onto the oil filter cap.

A close-up of how the heater hoses are anchored with zip ties:

I like the final result. As close to OEM appearance as I can get:

With the breather filter mounted directly onto the plastic hose, it gets hidden by the the plastic engine cover.

Since there was recent talk about adding oil catch cans to the supercharger setups, I think it's worth mentioning that the Prodigy setup doesn't have any oil vapors going through the turbo or intercooler. The only time oil vapors are entering the intake is when there's vacuum in the intake manifold pulling oil air directly through the PCV hose. When you're making boost, it's all fresh air coming in.

The down-side to this setup is that when you are making boost, piston blow-by gasses pressurized the crankcase and cause oily vapors to flow backwards through the the "make-up air hose", through the breather filter, and dumping out to atmosphere under the hood. This is not ideal because:
    • Pollution. It definitely won't meet emissions requirements. Won't even pass a visual inspection, if you have those in your region.
    • Sometimes you can smell that oily air, especially after some full throttle in the summer with the top down, then coming to a stop or slowing down soon afterward.
    • When hooked up in stock form, there's a slight amount of vacuum in the air filter box under high engine load conditions that helps suck the blow-by gasses out of the crankcase through the make-up air hose. When venting to atmosphere, it's a bit less efficient at keeping the crankcase air clean.

In the future, I'd like to explore the option of adding a hose fitting to the end of the air filter (the main air filter on the turbo) so that I can run the make-up air hose through an oil catch can and back into the air filter for a fully closed PCV system. Less pollution, no oily smells ever, and slightly cleaner crankcase air. The only problem is that the tune from Prodigy was designed with purely fresh air when on boost, so I would run the risk of knocking/detonation as a result of lowered effective octane from whatever oil makes it past the catch can. To be 100% safe, I think this would require some serious testing/monitoring by someone that knows what they're doing to determine whether a custom slightly less aggressive tune is necessary to keep things safe. I'm not sure I'll ever get motivated enough to be willing to pay for professional testing and possibly custom tuning for this.

I may discuss with Prodigy at some point to see if they think it would be safe enough to setup, then send them some data logs afterward to see if any tweaks to the tune are necessary.

When Prodigy sent me the parts to hook up the PCV hose with a check valve, the instructions had me keep the road draft tube hooked up to the "make up air" vent on the engine. This was unacceptable, because air gets sucked INTO the engine through that tube now! That just seemed like a disaster waiting to happen (tires kicking up dust under the vehicle where the end of the tube is, submerging the tube in water, etc). I immediately ran out to an auto parts store and found a breather filter that I was able to rig up satisfactorily to the original make up air hose, but it was kinda ugly and temporary, so i didn't show it off. Prodigy told me at the time that they were still working on finalizing their solution to the make-up air side of the PCV system.

I have since received a small breather filter (smaller than the hideous monstrosity I had rigged up) from Prodigy with a hose coupler that I believe is intended to be used to attach the filter to the end of the rubber hose that had previously connected to the air filter box. That just so happens to be the same curvy rubber hose that I sacrificed to modify the PCV hose (in the link at the beginning of this post) so I could add the check valve into the system while retaining an OEM look with the formed plastic hose.

Jeff, that breather is hooked up to the hose that is attached on the drive side of the engine, that vents out to the atmosphere and hangs above the transmission? Thats that hose right?
    Last edited by NOLAjeeper; 11-21-2014 at 12:53 AM. Reason: too long