Quote Originally Posted by UselessPickles View Post
Yeah, "Legendary" seems a bit excessive, but that's marketing. The intercooler is very nice, though. Very solid and custom sized to just barely fit behind the grill on the Jeep.

You also get much lower intake temps, so the gains are better than just a small boost increase.

They have plans to turn up the boost, but this seems to be as much boost as they are comfortable selling as a reliable kit on the stock engine. All I know for sure is that they have shared pictures of some forged pistons. They're going to strengthen the engine before adding more boost.

BTW - I heard that one of their customers took it upon themselves to turn up the boost (to somewhere around 12-14 psi, I believe), and ended up requiring an engine rebuild due to the damage that was caused.

I'm not saying the intercooler is bad. I'm just marveling at wording of the ad. From the description you would expect that this Legendary Custom Intercooler would make you espresso coffee, turn your engine into a 500+hp engine, and keep the kids entertained. It looks like a nice package.

My one question about it would be proximity to the to the rest of the engine stuff in your engine compartment-- you have the turbo very close putting out amazing heat. You have the engine putting a decent amount heat, then you have the radiator which is also putting out extra heat and then you have the exhaust manifold. You've got all those heat producing elements in such close proximity to the intercooler tends to reduce efficiency.

Air to Air systems work great at high speeds due to the volume of air flow you get. They tend to really drop of the performance charts when you get off road with slow moving air-speeds. Couple this with the close proximity of the everything under the hood and you start to see performance from your intercooler drop off. It is just one drawback of attempting to put extra things under the hood the original engineers didn't account for or ever intend for you to put under their. I wouldn't scrap the intercooler-- I just wouldn't be surprised that if I spend 4 hours off road at 15mph to see the same sort of performance as I would at 70mph cruising down the highway.

This is specially true for the air intake being right by the engine I understand why they want the turbo to get a nice short straight shot of air. However, that is right in the nexus of heat if you will. It is high up where all the hot air is going to rise to and it is next to the engine. I would like my air intake outside the hood in the clear away from extra heat sources. But that is just me. You're on the trail all day and the air is 80F ambient, then you have the above sources of heat and almost no air flowing into the system other than what the fans for the radiator can draw. I would increase those myself.

Also, does Prodigy offer an oil-cooler kit? That would be a great addition to the system.