Close

Page 18 of 45 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by UselessPickles View Post
    Being "on par" while being about $1000 less expensive is actually quite impressive. For all-out full throttle acceleration performance, even the stage 1 turbo will probably beat the superchargers.
    Strong statement, with weak real world context ^^ (pickles, im truly a big fan, You were the first, and you installed on your own, but here we disagree.)

Maybe with the foot to the floor to the redline, it may, but in standard driving, Prodigy's own dyno shows that it makes less horsepower and torque than EVEN stock JK under 3k RPM. So in daily driving, (i rarely climb above 3k RPM) Both SCs are faster than the Stage 1 Turbo.

I spend 99.9% driving normally, Might floor it to show off once in a while, but not regularly.

We need a dyno sheet with all the powermods together. 3 lines. Then we can all pick sides and battle!

Quote Originally Posted by Yoinkers View Post
    Strong statement, with weak real world context ^^ (pickles, im truly a big fan, You were the first, and you installed on your own, but here we disagree.)

Maybe with the foot to the floor to the redline, it may, but in standard driving, Prodigy's own dyno shows that it makes less horsepower and torque than EVEN stock JK under 3k RPM. So in daily driving, (i rarely climb above 3k RPM) Both SCs are faster than the Stage 1 Turbo.

I spend 99.9% driving normally, Might floor it to show off once in a while, but not regularly.

We need a dyno sheet with all the powermods together. 3 lines. Then we can all pick sides and battle!
    I've driven the Ripp and my Prodigy. The Ripp is fast, the Prodigy is fast, probably a little faster.

If a person doesn't get over 3k, then they really have no business considering a power modification. There isn't much benefit to either system at 3k, especially if that is where you're shifting to the next gear.

I actually can't imagine driving any manual transmission vehicle and rarely cresting 3k rpm. My DD is a Nissan and I commonly hit 5k rpm through normal driving and achieve 42mpg. Doesn't harm a modern engine to rev a bit; likely does it some good.

I'm looking forward to the dyno, just to see if I get the mysterious less-than-stock power phenomenon.

So in daily driving, (i rarely climb above 3k RPM) Both SCs are faster than the Stage 1 Turbo.

Just because you spend most time below 3k doesn't mean that that's where you'll benefit most from extra power. You spend most time under 3k because most of the time you are cruising or accelerating relatively gently, using small amounts of power, and a stock Jeep has plenty of power to do that daily driving stuff under 3k. More power under 3k isn't going to help you cruise steadily and gently accelerate better.

If you have an automatic transmission and want to accelerate faster than "normal daily driving under 3k", what happens? You press the throttle, the transmission downshifts to a gear with higher gear ratio, more torque multiplication, RPMs jump up, and you're now making use of more available power (more power at higher RPMs). Press the throttle hard, and I'll bet it downshifts enough to get up to or above 3k. That 0.01% of the time that you're not "daily driving under 3k" is when you want to get moving fast (merge onto a freeway from a short entrance ramp, pass a car on a 2-lane highway, etc). When you press the throttle hard to get moving fast, it won't matter at all how much torque you have under 3k, unless you're at low speeds (3k in 1st gear is about 17mph on my Jeep).

If you have a manual transmission and want to accelerate faster, you could try to just stomp on the throttle in 6th gear on the freeway, but it would be silly to expect much useful acceleration. Your best bet is to mimic what an auto trans would do: downshift for more torque multiplication and power if you really want to accelerate, which will put you at higher RPMs.

Trying to accelerate hard under 3k is lazy and rougher on your engine than accelerating the same amount in a lower gear at higher RPM, even with a stock engine. Adding boost at lower RPM is also rougher on the engine than adding the same amount of boost at higher RPM. You get higher cylinder pressures at lower RPM because the valves are open longer, allowing the boost pressure to more fully "flow" into the cylinders. Having more boost at lower RPM with a manual transmission will make you more likely to be lazy and try accelerating hard from lower RPM, basically encouraging you to be rougher on the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepLab View Post

As far as lining them up 3 wide and smashing the gas pedal- The trucks themselves are not apples to apples -
    [clip, clip]
    If they were all the same gearing, wheel tire combo, overall weight, Id have no problem lining them up.
    Very true, very sorry. I had completely forgotten about this when I wrote my comment. You guys are doing a great job, and a great service to the Jeep community by posting so much information. Of course a side-by-side race would not be apples to apples with a 2 door, 4 doors, different gearing, different tires, etc.

I do understand the turbo is new and has issues to be worked out, just like the SC's did. I also know though that I was watching an interview with RIPP CEO, and his comment was that the turbo required much more work to install, more than a typically owner might consider, was more complex, and that was why they went the SC route. After following this thread vs. the threads on the SC, I would have to agree. From the factory, sure, turbo me all day long if it was designed by the vehicle engineers. I think for aftermarket though, with the possibility of a self install, it's clear to me that the SC is a better option for me if I can ever dig up the funds to pay for it (well, I could dig them up, but then my kids may not have straight teeth )

Sorry to everyone else, I see this thread has sort of spiraled since my original comments about turbo vs. SC, when the reality is, we don't have all the dyno facts for a good debate.
    2014 Jeep JKU Sahara, Manual - /OlllllllO\ - 4" Metal Cloak lift, 37" Toyo Open Country's on 20" XD Bully Rims, 4.56 Yukon gears, Mopar High Top Fenders, ARB Front Bull Bar Bumper, ARB Rear Bumper, Teraflex HD Tire Carrier, Teraflex Tire Carrier Accessory Mount, Twin Rotopax mount, Hi-Lift Jack mounted on front bumper, Reverse LED work lights, Warn 9.5ti winch, Synergy Drag Link, Trackbar Relocation Bracket, AMP Power Steps, JK1001 Radio, SpiderShade.

Just a quick update on the vehicle.. Since the exhaust leaks were fixed and the O2 sensors were swapped, the jeep is running excellent! Check engine light has not illuminated after driving pretty much all day today, around town and on the highway..Probably traveled close to 100 miles total today. Usually after driving 30mins, check engine light would come on and code P0153 would show up.. Not anymore.. Im most certain having the O2 sensors in their correct placements fixed this issue. Thanks again Pickles! Just to add to the recent thread, before the Turbo i would drive the jeep very Conservative..usually would not let the RPM's go over 4.5K.. Now i live in New Orleans downtown and i live 4 Blocks from where i work..I walk a lot, and usually drive the jeep when i go grocery shopping or need it to run errands or when i feel like like driving it.. I have an automatic so i dont shift like the manuals (obviously) But since ive got a turbo under the hood...Let me tell you.. I use the entire RMP band, often! ITS FUN!!!!! Cant imagine what stage 2 is going to be like.==MORE FUN!!!

I know it won't be completely fair as the trucks have different set ups, but Id still like to see them race. You need to get the people who make the power mods to race them.

Make RIPP drive BB
    Prodigy drive JG
    Mag drive SP

I know it won't be completely fair as the trucks have different set ups, but Id still like to see them race. You need to get the people who make the power mods to race them.

Make RIPP drive BB
    Prodigy drive JG
    Mag drive SP
    If anyone is going to dog out my truck, its going to be me! One of these days we will get lined up and see what is what. Too many variable to be a fair comparison..but you are correct in that it would be cool to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Snarf77 View Post
    If anyone is going to dog out my truck, its going to be me! One of these days we will get lined up and see what is what. Too many variable to be a fair comparison..but you are correct in that it would be cool to see.
    Jesse does not like other guys touching his girl.

Make RIPP drive BB
    Prodigy drive JG
    Mag drive SP
    I dont know how many people are interested in racing lifted Jeeps but I do know who holds all the HP and Torque records for both the 3.8L JK and the 3.6L

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stg1auto.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	970
    333RWHP AND 342LBFT 3.6L AUTO STAGE 1

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.8l12PSI.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	971
    352RWHP AND 409LBFT 3.8L 6SPD STAGE 3 STOCK MOTOR

I'm pretty sure there wont be any takers on this one. Turbo for the win.
    Next week I will start a thread for the El Diablo Rosso it is currently running 12psi and WOW it is sick.

Quote Originally Posted by boosted1 View Post
    I dont know how many people are interested in racing lifted Jeeps
    Actually, I could see it happening as a sand dune hill climb race

That's at Silver Lake State Park in Michigan. I'll be testing out the Prodigy Turbo there soon. I think my stock tires are going to hold me back. I need some sand paddles!

Quote Originally Posted by boosted1 View Post
    Next week I will start a thread for the El Diablo Rosso it is currently running 12psi and WOW it is sick.

12 psi on the Pentastar? I'd guess that's going to push it over the 400 mark for both torque and horsepower. I'm interested to hear whether the Pentastar ends up needing any upgrades to safely handle 12 psi. It would be pretty awesome if it was limited to a wastegate spring and maybe a fuel pump booster. Then you could add some methanol injection to the package for a reasonable price