Close

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KaiserBill View Post
    Some of your formulas need to be tweaked... The guage pressure is different than absolute pressures and you will have to adjust your gauge pressure.
    Please explain what was wrong with my calculations. I did my calculations in terms of absolute pressure (psia): atmospheric pressure + boost (aka guage pressure, psig).

But here you go: Vortech makes two models of the V-2 Supercharger: The V-2SCI which runs at 17PSI and 1050CFM max making 725HP and the V-2E which runs at 17PSI and 1150CFM creating 775Hp max--

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/page.php?id=30157
    http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/page.php?id=30008

So, you know do you still want to go with CFM factor doesn't matter????
    Yes, for the context of what I'm talking about, CFM *capability* is irrelevant. The specs you linked to only show that a supercharger that is *capable* of flowing more air at a given pressure is *capable* of producing more power (because more total air per unit time = more power; I did not need to be convinced of this) than a supercharger that can maintain the same boost, but at a lower flow rate... IF... BIG IF... it is paired up with an engine that is capable of CONSUMING air at that flow rate. The flow rating of a supercharger/turbo is important in choosing the correct size for the engine that you are installing it on. A higher CFM supercharger cannot magically force more air through an engine at a higher flow rate, but at the same pressure. To push more air through the engine requires higher pressure (which would actually still be the same lower CFM, but at a higher pressure, because CFM is just volume per rate of time, regardless of pressure).

Two different things that are pushing air into the same engine with the same pressure cannot possibly be pushing different amounts of air into the cylinder (which I already fully explained in my previous post).

Oh, and depending on your turbo's size and requirements .3 psi of boost might not over come the back pressure on the cylinder head.
    Did you miss the part where I mentioned that the exhaust:boost pressure ratio of the turbo system is less than 1:1? And therefore the boost pressure is stronger than exhaust back-pressure?
    Last edited by UselessPickles; 02-19-2015 at 12:21 AM.