Now let's jump into the install itself.

As you can see in my previous post, I just opened my hood all the way, and placed a towel between the hood and the windshield frame. Very convenient!

First step: disconnect the negative side of the battery. That should really be the first step before doing anything non-trivial on a vehicle, but I forgot about this until later when I made sparks fly while wrenching near the starter motor!

Remove the plastic engine cover. If you need directions/photos for this, then please don't attempt a turbo install

The first casualty of the install is the air filter box and intake tract:

It's pretty straight-forward. Remove two bolts, pull off any hoses and sensor connectors that are attached to it, loosen the clamp on the throttle body,open the latches for the air filter box, then everything but the lower part of the air box comes out. The lower part of the air box is easiest to remove by itself as a second step: it just pops out.

The IAT (intake air temp) sensor needs to be carefully removed from the intake tract and safely set aside for later use. Be careful with it: the part of the sensor sticking into the intake seems pretty flimsy.

Next up is to remove the air dam under the front bumper. I don't seem to have any pics of this happening, but I struggled a bit with these stupid plastic fasteners:

Simply trying to unscrew them did nothing useful. For most of them, I was able to get a flat blade screwdriver on the back side of the dam, inside the fastener, and apply pressure on the tip of the screw part. This helped the screw "bite" and actually back out as I unscrewed with a phillips screwdriver. Two of them were difficult to reach, so I ended up using brute force with a drill, flat blade screw driver and a hammer to destroy them. I still don't know the best technique to getting these out. This step took way longer than I expected.

With the air dam out of the way, it's time to drain coolant out of the radiator. Open the radiator cap to allow air in while it drains. You drain it from this plastic petcock on the bottom passenger side:

That petcock has a nipple on the bottom of it. I conveniently had a plastic tube that would fit on that nipple, which came from this bottle pump (that I bought for pumping transmission fluid into the trans):

That nipple with the tube on it gave me confidence that I would have a mess-free coolant draining experience. I was wrong. When you twist that petcock open, more fluid comes out past the valve handle than actually flows through the nipple. I wrapped a shop towel around it to help direct the flow:

As you can see, I had much coolant go everywhere except for where I expected it to go. This is a common theme. Expect coolant to come out in unexpected ways from unexpected places at various times, and be prepared to throw a bucket under the pouring coolant, and also have a hose ready to rinse things off.

The coolant drains very slowly, and less came out than I expected. I had two of those buckets (bought from the dollar store) ready to capture up to the full 10 quarts of coolant. I barely needed one bucket:

I covered the bucket with aluminum foil to avoid unnecessary contamination and set it aside (pour it back in later). This step was messier than expected and took longer than expected due to scrambling to clean up the messes.