Close

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by UselessPickles View Post
    I found that the connections between the turbine housing, turbo feed pipe, wastegate and downpipe all didn't want to easily match up to each other. I got the best results by doing this:

1) Loosen all exhaust connections from the turbo back to the head of the engine, including loosening the V-band clamp connecting the the down pipe to the turbine housing, and the 4 bolts holding the turbine to the turbo feed pipe. Loosen the head pipe bolts and ball joints just enough to allow sliding/rotating movement. Loosen everything else more to allow large amounts of movement (especially the 4 bolts holding the turbine to the feed pipe).
    3) Double check that the wastegate is perfectly seated onto the turbo feed pipe, and put the clamp on (squeeze the clamp into place with pliers, but don't tighten yet).
    4) Get the other end of the wastegate firmly seated into the down pipe, and put the clamp on (squeeze the clamp into place with pliers, but don't tighten yet).
    5) Wastegate should be guaranteed to be properly seated and leak-free now.
    6) Mate the turbine housing to the downpipe and partially tighten the v-band clamp. The goal is to have the clamp prevent the joint from separating, but allow it to rotate if necessary. It should be easy get this joint to line up flush because of all the slack in the connection between the turbine housing and the feed pipe. Loosen those 4 bolts more if necessary to get enough slack.
    7) Lightly snug up all 4 bolts (but don't tighten!) holding the turbine housing to the feed pipe. The short flex pipe between the wastegate and downpipe will get flexed/stretched slightly as necessary as these bolts are snugged.
    8) Finish tightening the v-band clamp for the down pipe, and tighten the wastegate clamps.
    9) At this point, the turbo, wastegate and downpipe should be all locked together as one complete assembly, with all joints completely sealed. There should be no other possible orientation of all these interconnected joints.
    10) Loosen the 2 bolts holding the down pipe to the engine. Have someone apply pressure to the turbo to make sure the whole system is shifted as far upward and toward left side of the vehicle as possible as you re-tighten those 2 bolts (reduces contact between the air filter and right-side inner fender liner).
    11) Confirm that the air filter will not be too far forward or rearward, contacting anything (like the trimmed air box support). If necessary, have someone apply pressure forward or rearward on the turbo as you tighten the 4 bolts holding the turbine to the feed pipe.
    12) At this point, the main turbo system should be locked into place where it should be relative to the engine, via the 3 mounting points to the engine. The rest of the exhaust system back to the engine should now just be in whatever orientation is necessary to allow the turbo system to be where it needs to be.
    13) Tighten the pipes to the heads of the engine.
    14) Tighten the ball joints in the exhaust.

I hope After going about it differently the first go round..this is almost exactly how we achieved success in alignment. Excellent write up that I hope modifies/supplements future versions of Prodigy's install manual.

Your Steps 6 and 10 were critical steps for our install, having done it differently the first time. Adding to step 14, we definitely had to use the impact to get a nice tight seal on those ball joints. I love those joints for their ability to flex around and still get a solid seal.

As Snarf said: your instructions are much superior and professional to PD installation.
    i will try these tomorrow as today is a family day. My way of driving is extreme, hope i won't bend any exhaust.