Close

Page 43 of 45 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by UselessPickles View Post
    I finally recorded some video of the Stage 2 turbo with the Precision upgrade. Enjoy the sounds!
    Nice job Pickles!!!

Hey, a question for you. I see you have a 6-speed. Your shifts seem to be very quick in the video. I honestly don't think I could shift that fast because I literally need to pause a bit between shifts or it clicks/grinds on the way in. Do you have this same issue? Do you need to pause a second from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, etc? I'm thinking that my manual transmission has actually been a little beat up. I'm not sure how the previous owner drove, but I know I drive hard AND, I taught my daughter to drive a stick using my Jeep. As you can imagine, there was plenty of clutch burning (given that at the time I had big tires and was under-geared) and plenty of grinding. Just curious if you can give some insight into how your Jeep shifts. Is it smooth? Can you literally shift as quick as possible or do you need to do like me and pause just a hair between gears so that it drops in smoother? (same question to anyone with a 6spd.)
    Last edited by Timmy; 03-10-2016 at 10:33 PM.
    2014 Jeep JKU Sahara, Manual - /OlllllllO\ - 4" Metal Cloak lift, 37" Toyo Open Country's on 20" XD Bully Rims, 4.56 Yukon gears, Mopar High Top Fenders, ARB Front Bull Bar Bumper, ARB Rear Bumper, Teraflex HD Tire Carrier, Teraflex Tire Carrier Accessory Mount, Twin Rotopax mount, Hi-Lift Jack mounted on front bumper, Reverse LED work lights, Warn 9.5ti winch, Synergy Drag Link, Trackbar Relocation Bracket, AMP Power Steps, JK1001 Radio, SpiderShade.

Timmy, you're the second person to comment to me about how quickly I shift my Jeep's manual transmission. I thought the shifting was slow! But I'm used to the speed of clutchless shifts on a sport bike sequential transmission

Normally, I shift slower. I still shift in one continuous motion, but the shifter "pauses" and resists going into the next gear briefly (while the synchro does its job). So it ends up feeling like a 2-step process, even though I'm applying continuous smooth pressure on the shifter. After it resists going into gear very briefly, it pops in smoothly.

When accelerating hard, I just use more force to make the synchro work harder and get its job done quicker. I move the shifter faster, and apply more pressure into the next gear, but I don't yank the shifter. It's still a continuous smooth motion/force. During the quicker shifts, I still feel the shifter resist popping into the next gear, so it still feels like a 2-step process, but the brief pause before popping into gear is much quicker.

I don't get any grinding or other angry noises from my transmission regardless of how quickly I shift. The key is probably making sure you don't try to yank it suddenly into the next gear.

I'm running Redline MTL transmission fluid. i don't know whether that makes my shifts significantly smoother. It did seem to make my shifts from 1st to second a bit easier/smoother (especially when cold) when I first replaced the original transmission fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by UselessPickles View Post
    Normally, I shift slower. I still shift in one continuous motion, but the shifter "pauses" and resists going into the next gear briefly (while the synchro does its job). So it ends up feeling like a 2-step process
    That pretty well answers my question then. It is a two step process for me as well. If I really gun it, like you, I'll pull in one continuous motion and just force it in, but man, it sure doesn't like to go in fast!

So a dumb question... I've driven plenty of manual's before, but all were more of a sports car and none had this crazy two-step, don't shift too fast feel to it. Are the Jeeps like this for any particular reason? Is the transmission more bomb proof or something and thus a little harder to shift, or is it that Chrysler (Mercedes?) just doesn't know how to build a smooth manual trans?

I'll maybe have to take a look at putting in a different transmission fluid as I'd love any chance to make it smoother. I hate to admit it, but I've never dealt with transmission fluid on my own before. Is it very difficult to do? Is it just your standard drain plug, pull out old, fill with new? Do you feel Redline MTL is the best? Anyone else have any experience or comments about swapping trans fluid?
    2014 Jeep JKU Sahara, Manual - /OlllllllO\ - 4" Metal Cloak lift, 37" Toyo Open Country's on 20" XD Bully Rims, 4.56 Yukon gears, Mopar High Top Fenders, ARB Front Bull Bar Bumper, ARB Rear Bumper, Teraflex HD Tire Carrier, Teraflex Tire Carrier Accessory Mount, Twin Rotopax mount, Hi-Lift Jack mounted on front bumper, Reverse LED work lights, Warn 9.5ti winch, Synergy Drag Link, Trackbar Relocation Bracket, AMP Power Steps, JK1001 Radio, SpiderShade.

Quote Originally Posted by timmy View Post
    i'll maybe have to take a look at putting in a different transmission fluid as i'd love any chance to make it smoother. I hate to admit it, but i've never dealt with transmission fluid on my own before. Is it very difficult to do? Is it just your standard drain plug, pull out old, fill with new? Do you feel redline mtl is the best? Anyone else have any experience or comments about swapping trans fluid?
    bump bump...

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
    bump bump...
    Oops. Sorry.

Manual transmission fluid change was pretty straightforward. There's two gotchas:

1) The stock exhaust blocks direct access to the drain plug. There's various ideas out there for making your own tool, or buying a specific tool for the job. I think I found the simplest solution. Buy a 17mm allen socket like this:

And pound the allen bit portion out of the socket. It's now a very short allen wrench with no handle. There's enough room to fit that between the exhaust and drain plug, then use a 17 mm open end wrench to turn it.

Use some aluminum foil to cover the exhaust and form a makeshift funnel for the draining fluid.

2) You need a bottle pump to transfer fluid from the bottle into the fill hole. The one I ordered online didn't work. It didn't fit the threaded opening of the bottle of fluid I had, and the style of pump relied on the bottle being sealed to build pressure. I picked up another bottle pump at a local auto parts store that still didn't fit my bottle, but also didn't rely on a pressure buildup to function properly.

Here's a full writeup with a more complicated custom tool suggested: http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...ission-service

Working on the install now.

Did you ever end up moving your coolant res?

I forgot to ask,

did you go with colder plugs as well?

I have not moved my coolant reservoir yet. Just haven't gotten to it yet (need to buy a new hose for it). NOLAjeeper installed his reservoir in the stock location and he seems to like it.

I'm still running the stock spark plugs. I'm not aware of any specific reason to change the plugs. The turbo has been tested/tuned with stock plugs, and I'm no expert on spark plugs, so I feel best leaving it the way Prodigy intends.

I guess this is more of a general question.

I just realized while mounting up the turbo that there is no bracket welded onto the up pipe. Anyone know if this was a running change? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0515.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	1706