Close

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by UselessPickles View Post
    Being "on par" while being about $1000 less expensive is actually quite impressive. For all-out full throttle acceleration performance, even the stage 1 turbo will probably beat the superchargers.
    Strong statement, with weak real world context ^^ (pickles, im truly a big fan, You were the first, and you installed on your own, but here we disagree.)

Maybe with the foot to the floor to the redline, it may, but in standard driving, Prodigy's own dyno shows that it makes less horsepower and torque than EVEN stock JK under 3k RPM. So in daily driving, (i rarely climb above 3k RPM) Both SCs are faster than the Stage 1 Turbo.

I spend 99.9% driving normally, Might floor it to show off once in a while, but not regularly.

We need a dyno sheet with all the powermods together. 3 lines. Then we can all pick sides and battle!

Quote Originally Posted by Yoinkers View Post
    Strong statement, with weak real world context ^^ (pickles, im truly a big fan, You were the first, and you installed on your own, but here we disagree.)

Maybe with the foot to the floor to the redline, it may, but in standard driving, Prodigy's own dyno shows that it makes less horsepower and torque than EVEN stock JK under 3k RPM. So in daily driving, (i rarely climb above 3k RPM) Both SCs are faster than the Stage 1 Turbo.

I spend 99.9% driving normally, Might floor it to show off once in a while, but not regularly.

We need a dyno sheet with all the powermods together. 3 lines. Then we can all pick sides and battle!
    I've driven the Ripp and my Prodigy. The Ripp is fast, the Prodigy is fast, probably a little faster.

If a person doesn't get over 3k, then they really have no business considering a power modification. There isn't much benefit to either system at 3k, especially if that is where you're shifting to the next gear.

I actually can't imagine driving any manual transmission vehicle and rarely cresting 3k rpm. My DD is a Nissan and I commonly hit 5k rpm through normal driving and achieve 42mpg. Doesn't harm a modern engine to rev a bit; likely does it some good.

I'm looking forward to the dyno, just to see if I get the mysterious less-than-stock power phenomenon.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoinkers View Post
    So in daily driving, (i rarely climb above 3k RPM) Both SCs are faster than the Stage 1 Turbo.

Just because you spend most time below 3k doesn't mean that that's where you'll benefit most from extra power. You spend most time under 3k because most of the time you are cruising or accelerating relatively gently, using small amounts of power, and a stock Jeep has plenty of power to do that daily driving stuff under 3k. More power under 3k isn't going to help you cruise steadily and gently accelerate better.

If you have an automatic transmission and want to accelerate faster than "normal daily driving under 3k", what happens? You press the throttle, the transmission downshifts to a gear with higher gear ratio, more torque multiplication, RPMs jump up, and you're now making use of more available power (more power at higher RPMs). Press the throttle hard, and I'll bet it downshifts enough to get up to or above 3k. That 0.01% of the time that you're not "daily driving under 3k" is when you want to get moving fast (merge onto a freeway from a short entrance ramp, pass a car on a 2-lane highway, etc). When you press the throttle hard to get moving fast, it won't matter at all how much torque you have under 3k, unless you're at low speeds (3k in 1st gear is about 17mph on my Jeep).

If you have a manual transmission and want to accelerate faster, you could try to just stomp on the throttle in 6th gear on the freeway, but it would be silly to expect much useful acceleration. Your best bet is to mimic what an auto trans would do: downshift for more torque multiplication and power if you really want to accelerate, which will put you at higher RPMs.

Trying to accelerate hard under 3k is lazy and rougher on your engine than accelerating the same amount in a lower gear at higher RPM, even with a stock engine. Adding boost at lower RPM is also rougher on the engine than adding the same amount of boost at higher RPM. You get higher cylinder pressures at lower RPM because the valves are open longer, allowing the boost pressure to more fully "flow" into the cylinders. Having more boost at lower RPM with a manual transmission will make you more likely to be lazy and try accelerating hard from lower RPM, basically encouraging you to be rougher on the engine.