Quote Originally Posted by UselessPickles View Post
Normally, I shift slower. I still shift in one continuous motion, but the shifter "pauses" and resists going into the next gear briefly (while the synchro does its job). So it ends up feeling like a 2-step process
That pretty well answers my question then. It is a two step process for me as well. If I really gun it, like you, I'll pull in one continuous motion and just force it in, but man, it sure doesn't like to go in fast!

So a dumb question... I've driven plenty of manual's before, but all were more of a sports car and none had this crazy two-step, don't shift too fast feel to it. Are the Jeeps like this for any particular reason? Is the transmission more bomb proof or something and thus a little harder to shift, or is it that Chrysler (Mercedes?) just doesn't know how to build a smooth manual trans?

I'll maybe have to take a look at putting in a different transmission fluid as I'd love any chance to make it smoother. I hate to admit it, but I've never dealt with transmission fluid on my own before. Is it very difficult to do? Is it just your standard drain plug, pull out old, fill with new? Do you feel Redline MTL is the best? Anyone else have any experience or comments about swapping trans fluid?