Close

Page 37 of 45 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast
    Is it a leak in the system?

Quote Originally Posted by AGOM View Post
    My lack of knowledge in terms of reading or maybe interpreting the logs dose not help in getting my point across.
    I will try and get a log to you by tomorrow and tell me what you think.
    If I were you, I would record a data log of those exact situations you described, and send them to Prodigy with a description of the problem.

Do you have the 6-speed manual transmission? If so, then what about driving at 80 mph in 6th gear? I drive 70-80 mph in 6th gear all the time without any trouble.

I did send 3 logs to prodigy nearly 2 weeks ago, I don't know what they saw in the logs. But whatever it was they think the new tune will fix the issues. As much as I want it to be true I m not sure if it's a tune thing, i mean the starting issue was suppose to have been resolved with the tune I was sent, but never did.

My setup:
    4dr Jk
    Auto Tran.
    4.10 ratio
    315 75/17

Maybe just wait for the new tune. I suspect it will be available to everyone pretty soon. Rumor is that it's pretty awesome, and a major improvement over the previous tune. I'm starting that rumor right now ;-)

I'm waiting and hoping,
    And it's killing me

Pickles,
    im not sure what the problem is but I'v looked at the obvious as much as I can and now I'm thinking it might be something deeper.
    I used to love the way the turbo sounded when you put your foot down and you get that distinctive whine followed by the whoosh when you release, but recently when I accelerate the whine is now mixed with some whoosh ( excuse the funny talk but I have no other way of explaining it) also while accelerating the car tends to hesitate, feels like it's beeing held back at times, and at cruising speed the boost comes in and out, you can hear the turbo spool up and release even though I'm holding a constant speed on a level road and no wind.
    Also something weird happened to me on the highway, cruising at 80mph 2800RPM 5th gear the temperature starts to increase at a steady rate, had to slowdown because it didn't look like it was going to stop increasing, this is what I don't understand, same speed at on 4th gear RPM 3500 and the temperature starts to backdown and sits dead center on the gage, tried it again on 5th same speed temp up select 4th higher rpm same speed temp comes down.
    My lack of knowledge in terms of reading or maybe interpreting the logs dose not help in getting my point across.
    I will try and get a log to you by tomorrow and tell me what you think.
    When a turbo feels like it is going on and off that is called Compressor Surge or sometimes just Turbo Surge (the first is more correct). That happens because you are operating on the left hand boundary line of a Turbo Map. It is an area of massive instability in the in the pressure on the compressor wheel. And why you see it in 5th gear is probably because the cars throttle is too closed off so you are getting back pressure in the intake manifold causing an instant build up of extra air in the process-- this creates areas of high pressure and low pressure-- this causes the compressor wheel to create boost and then stop creating boost. I know this engine isn't a throttle body type system but it still has to control the air flow into the cylinder heads some way. It seems that is not working correctly. So, why does vanish in 4th ? The throttle is opening up more in 4th Gear to allow more fuel and air to mix and this gives the turbo the ability to pump all that air into the cylinder head. Why this didn't show up right away is sort of a mystery. It could be that your tunings some how reset to stock and you need to reset them. But I don't know much about your settings so those claims are hard to make by some one like myself. I would just take it to a mechanic have him test it out and see what he says. I bet Compressor Surge is what you are describing and it will cause the cylinder heads to trap excess exhaust cause if it is by an intake blockage. It could be a valve timing issues too-- the VVT system is some how cutting off the flow from the intake too early and causing the surge. Compressor surge is not good and you should have it corrected as quickly as possible.

KaiserBill,
    Is it possible that it would reset it self back to stock tune,,?
    What I can do is reinstall the latest tune I hav and see what happens.

But I like what your proposing with the issue of compressor surge, totally possible, and makes perfect sense to me now.

KaiserBill,
    Is it possible that it would reset it self back to stock tune,,?
    What I can do is reinstall the latest tune I hav and see what happens.

But I like what your proposing with the issue of compressor surge, totally possible, and makes perfect sense to me now.
    I don't' know if it could go back to the stock tune. You said you had starting problems from the start. So that is not a good sign. Perhaps, the fix they sent you didn't exactly fix it, but caused new issues. Usually these issues will show up immediately when you install a turbo. Myself, I wouldn't touch the settings before I take it to a mechanic-- might even want to use a tow service to do that. Then let the mechanic drive and check out the settings. This is the one problem with aftermarket parts like this when they go wrong it is hard to say exactly how to fix it. The mechanic will have to talk to Prodigy and see what they think and what they spec out and then he will have to test everything and see if you are actually getting those requirements. It could take a long time to figure out what part of the system isn't functioning correctly right now.

Diagnosing a vehicle over the internet is not easy. And the best thing to do is really have a mechanic look at it and find out what is happening. Because you can do serious damage to the turbo if you let this condition continue.

A typical mechanic is not going to be able to help much with an after-market bolt-on custom tuned turbo kit. If you do decide to take it somewhere, find a performance shop that specializes in designing/installing/tuning custom turbo systems and kits.

The only way your vehicle could have gone back to the stock tune is if you took it to a dealer and they flashed your computer with an update, or if you specifically installed the original backup with the InTune.

It is possible that a problem with your current tune caused long term fuel trims to gradually adjust to extreme values in a certain engine load/speed area of the maps/tables, which could explain why you did not initially experience these problems. An easy way to test this is to simply install the most recent tune you have from Prodigy again. This will guarantee you have the right tune installed, AND will reset all adaptive memory for a fresh start. If it starts driving good again, then you know for sure the tune was the problem.

I've been testing the new tune from Prodigy for a couple days now. Low RPM power/driveability is SOOOO much better now. At this point, it's been so long since I've driven with a stock engine, that I honestly can't tell whether this new tune has simply returned low RPMs to stock power/driveability, or whether it's better than stock now. It's really hard to pinpoint the RPM at which the turbo starts feeling noticeably more powerful than stock.

The new tune made 382 hp and 380 ft-lbs torque on Prodigy's test jeep (up from their previous claim of 359 hp and 373 ft-lbs). I don't really feel an increase in max acceleration from the peak torque gain, but I do feel like the torque carries through to red line better without fading away as much. Can't wait to see a new dyno chart from Prodigy.

With the improvements to low end torque, I suspected that boost might build at low RPMs a bit better. With the tune producing more power, that would result in more exhaust gasses, which should provide more power to the turbo to generate more boost. Here's the results:

NOTE: Because of the way that different "channels" of data in the data log are updated out of sync from each other, the data points in the chart can be off by up to about 100 RPM. It looks like the new tune causes a bit less boost where it steeply climbs between 2800 and 3800 rpm, but I suspect that is just an artifact from out-of-sync data being paired up. This is really only a significant problem on the part of the chart where the curve is very steep.

Looks like my prediction is correct! More boost in the low RPM range. I have no explanation for why I got more peak boost this time.

So here's the updated boost curve alone:

And the update comparison chart:

Based on the new boost curve, I sure would expect some noteworthy gains over stock starting around 2000 rpm. Someone still needs to get a turbo jeep and stock jeep on the same dyno for a good comparison dyno chart...
    Last edited by UselessPickles; 02-18-2016 at 01:03 PM.