Close

Page 9 of 45 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Snarf77 View Post
    For someone who self proclaims that they aren't that mechanically inclined, you seem pretty mechanically inclined.
    I guess I'd say I'm mechanically paranoid
    I've learned a lot through trial and error. I know enough to be dangerous, and I'm aware of that.

Thanks for the drip tray suggestion. I'll add that to my list of random useful things that I'd like to get.

For a man that claims he didn't take that many pictures to create an install log, you sure did a great job taking pictures for your write up! Nice job! Hope the turbo provides you with hours and hours of smiles to make up for all the hard work. Now get that mo-fo lifted and slap some big tires on it!!! (and of course, the new track bar relocation bracket, the upgraded flipped drag link, new steering strut, etc. etc. to fix all the problems that a lift creates, grin.) And of course... GET THOSE DOORS OFF! Toooooo many Jeepers drivin' around town with their doors on, sad, very sad... ;-)

P.S. If you wanna drive from MI to WA, I'll sell you my 35" tires, cause I'm itchen to upgrade to 37" or 38"!!!
    2014 Jeep JKU Sahara, Manual - /OlllllllO\ - 4" Metal Cloak lift, 37" Toyo Open Country's on 20" XD Bully Rims, 4.56 Yukon gears, Mopar High Top Fenders, ARB Front Bull Bar Bumper, ARB Rear Bumper, Teraflex HD Tire Carrier, Teraflex Tire Carrier Accessory Mount, Twin Rotopax mount, Hi-Lift Jack mounted on front bumper, Reverse LED work lights, Warn 9.5ti winch, Synergy Drag Link, Trackbar Relocation Bracket, AMP Power Steps, JK1001 Radio, SpiderShade.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
    For a man that claims he didn't take that many pictures to create an install log, you sure did a great job taking pictures for your write up! Nice job!
    Thanks. While reviewing all my pictures, there's been so many little details that could have been captured better, or that I completely missed. I guess I just have high standards. If the end result is that I set your expectations low, then over-delivered, then that works out nicely

(and of course, the new track bar relocation bracket, the upgraded flipped drag link, new steering strut, etc. etc. to fix all the problems that a lift creates, grin.)
    And that's part of why I'll stick with my 2" lift and only go up to 33" tires

And of course... GET THOSE DOORS OFF! Toooooo many Jeepers drivin' around town with their doors on, sad, very sad... ;-)
    Too much rain lately

Haven't had the top/doors off since before the turbo install.

UPDATE!!! - I have since learned that I had too much boost with stage 1. I should have only had about 6.8 psi boost. When upgrading to stage 2, I found an exhaust leak at my wastegate, as well as a leak in the boost-sensing line to the wastegate. I'm pretty sure that one or both of these issues caused my excess boost.

Taking a break from the install writeup for some geeky data log analysis!

Here's the boost curve from a full throttle pull in 2nd gear:

Boost is not directly data logged, but intake manifold pressure is logged in psi, and barometric pressure is logged in inches of mercury. I converted barometric pressure to psi (came out to 14.4 psi) and subtracted it from manifold pressure to get boost values.

Based on the peak torque being at 4500 rpm in Prodigy's dyno results, I expected full boost at 4500 rpm. I'm thinking that maybe 2nd gear acceleration is just too fast, so the turbo doesn't get to fully spool at 4500 rpm. I'll have to try again with 3rd gear to test this hypothesis

Also note that I reached full throttle around 1700 rpms (whatever the first point on this chart is). I need to try again from a lower RPM to see if there's any amount of boost below 1700 rpm.

Once I'm satisfied that I have good boost curve data, then I'll also data log what happens when you stomp on the throttle around 4500 rpm to see how much lag there is in building full boost when going from cruising to full throttle.
    Last edited by UselessPickles; 11-16-2014 at 12:21 AM.

Pickles, this is the best part of everything you do.

I LOVE the detail.

I wish prodigy would get there butts to NJ so we can put ours in. I've had this turbo in my living room for weeks!

I promised to wait for them to fly up for the install.

Prodigy is finalizing some improvements. It should be worth the wait

Quote Originally Posted by UselessPickles View Post
    Prodigy is finalizing some improvements. It should be worth the wait
    The wait has been tremendous..but we're holding on! Really Pickles..the write ups are great. Keep 'em coming. Sorry you haven't had the top off much. I drove two hours on the highway to and from Rausch Creek on saturday and I feel half beaten to death by the wind and a bit deaf in the right ear afterwards. Something to look forward to!

Quote Originally Posted by Snarf77 View Post
    I drove two hours on the highway to and from Rausch Creek on saturday and I feel half beaten to death by the wind and a bit deaf in the right ear afterwards. Something to look forward to!
    Right ear? Hmmm, that doesn't make sense. You must still have your doors on or else it would be your left ear with more hearing loss

I went rock climbing with the kids last weekend and by the time we got home, we had the radio cranked at 28 on the highway just to hear it. Our ears were so shot that anything less and it just faded away into the wind noise.
    2014 Jeep JKU Sahara, Manual - /OlllllllO\ - 4" Metal Cloak lift, 37" Toyo Open Country's on 20" XD Bully Rims, 4.56 Yukon gears, Mopar High Top Fenders, ARB Front Bull Bar Bumper, ARB Rear Bumper, Teraflex HD Tire Carrier, Teraflex Tire Carrier Accessory Mount, Twin Rotopax mount, Hi-Lift Jack mounted on front bumper, Reverse LED work lights, Warn 9.5ti winch, Synergy Drag Link, Trackbar Relocation Bracket, AMP Power Steps, JK1001 Radio, SpiderShade.

Right ear? Hmmm, that doesn't make sense. You must still have your doors on or else it would be your left ear with more hearing loss

I went rock climbing with the kids last weekend and by the time we got home, we had the radio cranked at 28 on the highway just to hear it. Our ears were so shot that anything less and it just faded away into the wind noise.
    Don't want to threadjack pickles, but yup, right ear ringing. No top. open tube doors (no spidershade). Either way - next time earplugs are in order.

We have a date on the JL install yet?