Just a long-term update on this as I just had someone from the Interweb contact me requesting more info, so it got me thinking I should post some additional thoughts.

First... Yes, this still continues to rock. I can open up the back tailgate, steps go down, dump stuff in back and close tailgate and walk up to the front and get in before the steps retract. Girlfriends the world over have been coming up and thanking me, just as Rexx19 predicted

Second... I like that it is linked to the dome lights, as it helps you to remember if you accidentally left the steps down after driving off (if you use the manual operation of turning on the dome lights.) When you're driving down the road, even with the doors off, you can't see the steps are down unless you lean out, so you might have them hanging down and not know it. However, you will clearly notice if your dome lights are still on, which is a good reminder, so you'll turn them off thereby retracting the steps.

Third... I was originally going to replace the "loud" relays with quieter ones. As more time has gone by, I've learned to love those loud relays. It provides a nice audible input that the steps are about to be retracted. When you hear the relays kick in, it means you have 2 seconds to get your butt in, or get off the step, before they attempt to retract. The steps have a safety feature that ANY resistance at all and they stay down. So a few times I heard the relay go, then the steps tried to retract while my kids were still trying to get in. No harm done, the steps stayed down, and I just manually cycled them down and then back up and we moved on our happy marry way.

Fourth... When using the key fob, you have plenty of time. When opening up the back tailgate, it is a mix. I've noticed if you open the tailgate for a brief time, the dome lights don't stay on very long and thus the steps retract quickly. If you open the rear tailgate for a while (say more than a minute) then the dome lights seem to have a longer timer on them, and the steps stay down longer. In either case, if you need more time, just press the unlock button on your keyfob and you go into "bonus" time ;-)