Close

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Got down and looked at it. I see the problem. They tapped into the factory door harness with the trigger switch and also into the relay. Going back there this afternoon so they can disconnect from the door harness and reconnect the wire from the dome light and just have the trigger wire going directly to the relay and only the relay. That should solve the problem

It worked. They had the door harness and the relay both wired to the trigger switch. Thanks for all your help. Next time you're over the mountains beers are on me lol

Quote Originally Posted by BigKevSeattle View Post
    It worked. They had the door harness and the relay both wired to the trigger switch. Thanks for all your help. Next time you're over the mountains beers are on me lol
    Nice job!!! That is awesome that you were able to just look at it and realize what they did wrong.

I will totally take you up on that beer the next time I'm over there! (even if it's like a year later, so don't forget me!!! grin.) In the same regard, if you're here in Spokane, just let me know and I'll be happy to buy you a drink.
    2014 Jeep JKU Sahara, Manual - /OlllllllO\ - 4" Metal Cloak lift, 37" Toyo Open Country's on 20" XD Bully Rims, 4.56 Yukon gears, Mopar High Top Fenders, ARB Front Bull Bar Bumper, ARB Rear Bumper, Teraflex HD Tire Carrier, Teraflex Tire Carrier Accessory Mount, Twin Rotopax mount, Hi-Lift Jack mounted on front bumper, Reverse LED work lights, Warn 9.5ti winch, Synergy Drag Link, Trackbar Relocation Bracket, AMP Power Steps, JK1001 Radio, SpiderShade.

What killed me was I was very clear with both shops about NOT connecting to the doors wiring harness, and they both spent so much time on it I assumed they did what they were told. The minute I crammed myself down in the footwell I saw what the problem was (thanks to you of course). I'm not going to worry about the switch. If I need to disable the steps it can be done with the dome light switch. This is the perfect setup as is. Besides the buzz of course. Lol. I'll get used to it.

Thanks again man. Keep on wheelin'.

Kevin

Stupid question but this is driving me mad!! I have gotten the passenger side to work, but cannot seem to get the drivers side to work. Did you tap into two separate yellow wires (one on the passenger side and one on the drivers side?) If so, where is the drivers side wire located?

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    Stupid question but this is driving me mad!! I have gotten the passenger side to work, but cannot seem to get the drivers side to work. Did you tap into two separate yellow wires (one on the passenger side and one on the drivers side?) If so, where is the drivers side wire located?
    Well for starters, you can control both steps at the same time from one relay switch. So if you have the relay switch working on the passengers side, just attach the drivers side amp control cable to the same part of the relay that you did with the passenger side. You don't have to mess with putting a relay switch in on the drivers side like I did. Looking back, I should have just wired mine with a single relay switch that controlled both steps of the LED footwell light.

As for your actual question. You tap into the 12v lead to the LED footwell light for your signal for the relay switch. For the AMP step, you have to pull the driver's side signal cable over from the wire loom on the passenger side to the drivers side just like the AMP manual shows. In other words, get the entire system working according to the AMP instructions. Once you have done that, swapping from the signaling from the door signaling to the LED lighting signaling just uses the directions I've already posted.
    2014 Jeep JKU Sahara, Manual - /OlllllllO\ - 4" Metal Cloak lift, 37" Toyo Open Country's on 20" XD Bully Rims, 4.56 Yukon gears, Mopar High Top Fenders, ARB Front Bull Bar Bumper, ARB Rear Bumper, Teraflex HD Tire Carrier, Teraflex Tire Carrier Accessory Mount, Twin Rotopax mount, Hi-Lift Jack mounted on front bumper, Reverse LED work lights, Warn 9.5ti winch, Synergy Drag Link, Trackbar Relocation Bracket, AMP Power Steps, JK1001 Radio, SpiderShade.

SMALL update.

I JUST put a relay switch in-line with the AMP head power and connected it up to my SwitchPro's 8100 8-switch system and now I can disable the Power Amp steps with the push of the button. I've found that when I go out mudding that if you prevent the steps from retracting while they are caked in mud that they will perform much better when you get home and spray them off before using them again. When they are constantly going up and down while caked with mud, too much mud gets in to all the moving parts and can stop them from functioning correctly. Previously I was pulling the fuse prior to going mudding to disable the steps. I always wanted a way to disable the steps via a button inside the Jeep so I don't even have to open up the hood. Now I finally have that. My next upgrade is going to be either using my SwitchPro's switch or another dedicated toggle button to toggle the input source between the door signaling versus the dome lights. That will make it easier when I take the doors on and off as then I can just toggle the switch to use whichever input I desire instead of having to physically re-wire the signaling from the door vs. dome light.

What killed me was I was very clear with both shops about NOT connecting to the doors wiring harness, and they both spent so much time on it I assumed they did what they were told. The minute I crammed myself down in the footwell I saw what the problem was (thanks to you of course). I'm not going to worry about the switch. If I need to disable the steps it can be done with the dome light switch. This is the perfect setup as is. Besides the buzz of course. Lol. I'll get used to it.

Thanks again man. Keep on wheelin'.

Kevin
    So BigKev, it's been a year since you did the dome light mod. How's it working? Have you come to love the sound of the buzz of the relay switch and how it's like a little 2 second warning to the steps being retracted?

sounds great

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
    So BigKev, it's been a year since you did the dome light mod. How's it working? Have you come to love the sound of the buzz of the relay switch and how it's like a little 2 second warning to the steps being retracted?
    Hey Bro! How's it going? Actually that buzz went away after a few months- steps are still working great! Saw your post about the steps in muddy wheeling- I just turn mine off by rotating the switch all the way to the back, turning off the dome lights. Easy squeezy! Hope all is well with you.

Kevin

Hey Bro! How's it going? Actually that buzz went away after a few months- steps are still working great! Saw your post about the steps in muddy wheeling- I just turn mine off by rotating the switch all the way to the back, turning off the dome lights. Easy squeezy! Hope all is well with you.

Kevin
    The buzz went away? That's crazy. The buzz is caused by the dome lights having the voltage reduced to create a dimming affect when turning off. Maybe you have a relay switch that has a magnet that is just not as sensitive to this. Maybe my relay switch was too cheap! (ha!)

Ah yes, of course, if you are running strictly off the dome lights and can already control it, then my little solution would not be needed. I have wired back to the door signaling when the top/doors are on and I'll switch back to the dome lights when the doors come off.

I needed a solution because our Jeep family grew. My daughter saved up enough money for her first Jeep and now she wants to go Jeeping all the time!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20170320_18_22_06_Small.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	1752