Close

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Okay, here's a little diagram. Now, a WARNING!!! I'm creating this from memory, so I may not have the correct wires on the correct posts of the relay switch, but this should get your installers close. I was able to figure this out with nothing but a $5 circuit tester that I would either ground or attach to a positive signal and then touch various parts of the relay as I had the relay hooked up to the ground or amp signaling wire. The point is, any installer worth their salt should be able to look at this, grab a relay, grab a circuit tester and figure it out if what I have drawn up here is not 100% accurate, because the idea itself is so damn simple it's retarded. You have a relay that receives a signal, the relay in turn activates an internal switch that completes the circuit on the opposing posts. When you complete the circuit on the opposing posts, you complete it to a source and destination that you want paired together, (say a signaling wire to a ground, as in our example here, though it could have been external lights positive wire to a 30amp positive feed from the battery so the lights turn on.)

Hope this helps, and as I said before, send me pics of your relay switch and I'll try to help out more.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-03-09_1057.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	1683
    Last edited by Timmy; 03-09-2016 at 02:03 PM.
    2014 Jeep JKU Sahara, Manual - /OlllllllO\ - 4" Metal Cloak lift, 37" Toyo Open Country's on 20" XD Bully Rims, 4.56 Yukon gears, Mopar High Top Fenders, ARB Front Bull Bar Bumper, ARB Rear Bumper, Teraflex HD Tire Carrier, Teraflex Tire Carrier Accessory Mount, Twin Rotopax mount, Hi-Lift Jack mounted on front bumper, Reverse LED work lights, Warn 9.5ti winch, Synergy Drag Link, Trackbar Relocation Bracket, AMP Power Steps, JK1001 Radio, SpiderShade.

It worked. They had the door harness and the relay both wired to the trigger switch. Thanks for all your help. Next time you're over the mountains beers are on me lol

Quote Originally Posted by BigKevSeattle View Post
    It worked. They had the door harness and the relay both wired to the trigger switch. Thanks for all your help. Next time you're over the mountains beers are on me lol
    Nice job!!! That is awesome that you were able to just look at it and realize what they did wrong.

I will totally take you up on that beer the next time I'm over there! (even if it's like a year later, so don't forget me!!! grin.) In the same regard, if you're here in Spokane, just let me know and I'll be happy to buy you a drink.
    2014 Jeep JKU Sahara, Manual - /OlllllllO\ - 4" Metal Cloak lift, 37" Toyo Open Country's on 20" XD Bully Rims, 4.56 Yukon gears, Mopar High Top Fenders, ARB Front Bull Bar Bumper, ARB Rear Bumper, Teraflex HD Tire Carrier, Teraflex Tire Carrier Accessory Mount, Twin Rotopax mount, Hi-Lift Jack mounted on front bumper, Reverse LED work lights, Warn 9.5ti winch, Synergy Drag Link, Trackbar Relocation Bracket, AMP Power Steps, JK1001 Radio, SpiderShade.

What killed me was I was very clear with both shops about NOT connecting to the doors wiring harness, and they both spent so much time on it I assumed they did what they were told. The minute I crammed myself down in the footwell I saw what the problem was (thanks to you of course). I'm not going to worry about the switch. If I need to disable the steps it can be done with the dome light switch. This is the perfect setup as is. Besides the buzz of course. Lol. I'll get used to it.

Thanks again man. Keep on wheelin'.

Kevin

What killed me was I was very clear with both shops about NOT connecting to the doors wiring harness, and they both spent so much time on it I assumed they did what they were told. The minute I crammed myself down in the footwell I saw what the problem was (thanks to you of course). I'm not going to worry about the switch. If I need to disable the steps it can be done with the dome light switch. This is the perfect setup as is. Besides the buzz of course. Lol. I'll get used to it.

Thanks again man. Keep on wheelin'.

Kevin
    So BigKev, it's been a year since you did the dome light mod. How's it working? Have you come to love the sound of the buzz of the relay switch and how it's like a little 2 second warning to the steps being retracted?

sounds great

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
    So BigKev, it's been a year since you did the dome light mod. How's it working? Have you come to love the sound of the buzz of the relay switch and how it's like a little 2 second warning to the steps being retracted?
    Hey Bro! How's it going? Actually that buzz went away after a few months- steps are still working great! Saw your post about the steps in muddy wheeling- I just turn mine off by rotating the switch all the way to the back, turning off the dome lights. Easy squeezy! Hope all is well with you.

Kevin

Hey Bro! How's it going? Actually that buzz went away after a few months- steps are still working great! Saw your post about the steps in muddy wheeling- I just turn mine off by rotating the switch all the way to the back, turning off the dome lights. Easy squeezy! Hope all is well with you.

Kevin
    The buzz went away? That's crazy. The buzz is caused by the dome lights having the voltage reduced to create a dimming affect when turning off. Maybe you have a relay switch that has a magnet that is just not as sensitive to this. Maybe my relay switch was too cheap! (ha!)

Ah yes, of course, if you are running strictly off the dome lights and can already control it, then my little solution would not be needed. I have wired back to the door signaling when the top/doors are on and I'll switch back to the dome lights when the doors come off.

I needed a solution because our Jeep family grew. My daughter saved up enough money for her first Jeep and now she wants to go Jeeping all the time!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20170320_18_22_06_Small.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	1752