Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Squeaks of summer - I would prefere silence

Ahh, the squeaks of summer. Seriously, it's 2014, and we can't seem to find material to make bushings that don't squeak? My 2014 has a whopping 7000 miles on it, and it squeaks SOOOOOOOO BAD. I've noticed that it squeaks most when starting from a stop. Oddly enough, it doesn't squeak as much going over speed bumps. There seems to be something about the forward movement that causes more squeaks.

So, long story short, please, please, please tell me, what is the solution to all the squeaks. Don't even start with the "where are they coming from." Answer... Everywhere! Then the "have you tried lithium grease." Answer. YES, CONSTANTLY, EVERYWHERE, EVERY BUSHING I COULD FIND. The only thing that remains constant is sub-70 degree weather typically is no squeaks. Get above 80 and it is a squeaking symphony of fun.

Things I haven't tried yet (some I just won't because I know it is not a permanent fix and thus not worth the time.)

1) Adding zerks to bushings - might try, I'm reading about limited success with this, grease only seems to provide maybe a few months relief.

2) Removing bushings, greasing bushings, re-installing - Won't do, this seems temporary at best for way too much work.

3) Loosening lower/upper control arm bolts, rocking the jeep around a bit, re-tightening. Supposedly the bushings on the control arms can be twisted during initial install and then get torqued tight and stay that way, and squeak forever. Worth trying, seems like it wouldn't take to long.

4) Someone mentioned they had squeaks when the springs were not seated correctly. I know for a fact that my right front is not seated correctly as it got moved when I was havin' fun and the suspension dropped a ton over a mild jump (probably the same jump that tore the front drive shaft boot.) Anyway, need to prop up suspension and re-seat this, see if it helps at all, BUT, my squeaks are coming from every corner, so I doubt this will make much difference.

Also, does anyone else's Jeep make a squeak distinctly from the brakes when backing up after sitting for a little while? Mine always makes two sets of squeaks, then I don't hear it until I park for a while again and have to reverse out.

For what it's worth, I have a Pro Comp Stage 2 lift. I have no idea what bushings they typically use. I know AEV keeps OEM bushings, but I read about people with OEM bushing complaining right and left about squeaks as well, so I'm not so sure OEM is better than any other.

I guess the other thing that has made this difficult is that jumping on the corners just doesn't have it squeaking as much as when I start off from a full stop. There is just something flat out going on during acceleration that causes more squeaks, that's why I'm thinking maybe the control arms are the culprits of most of it.

Ideas!?!?!
    2014 Jeep JKU Sahara, Manual - /OlllllllO\ - 4" Metal Cloak lift, 37" Toyo Open Country's on 20" XD Bully Rims, 4.56 Yukon gears, Mopar High Top Fenders, ARB Front Bull Bar Bumper, ARB Rear Bumper, Teraflex HD Tire Carrier, Teraflex Tire Carrier Accessory Mount, Twin Rotopax mount, Hi-Lift Jack mounted on front bumper, Reverse LED work lights, Warn 9.5ti winch, Synergy Drag Link, Trackbar Relocation Bracket, AMP Power Steps, JK1001 Radio, SpiderShade.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
    For what it's worth, I have a Pro Comp Stage 2 lift. I have no idea what bushings they typically use. I know AEV keeps OEM bushings, but I read about people with OEM bushing complaining right and left about squeaks as well, so I'm not so sure OEM is better than any other.

I guess the other thing that has made this difficult is that jumping on the corners just doesn't have it squeaking as much as when I start off from a full stop. There is just something flat out going on during acceleration that causes more squeaks, that's why I'm thinking maybe the control arms are the culprits of most of it.

Ideas!?!?!
    1. WD 40. Lay on a creeper and spray everything down. use the whole can.
    2. Check your shocks, new? beat up? brand?
    3. do you have a crate of mice in the back seat?
    4. I dont know anything about pro comps stuff. but here is a pic, what are the flat things on the top left corner?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lift-kit-procomp_7740.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	806

How long do you let it sit when you leave it? a week? long enough for a glaze of rust to grow on the rotors? thats what would make a squeek immediately, then stop.

Upper left stuff is Pro Comps control arms. I've read lots of bad reviews on those, especially the bushings. I agree on the rotors after sitting for a while. That's the only part that squeaks on my '07.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepLab View Post
    1. WD 40. Lay on a creeper and spray everything down. use the whole can.
    2. Check your shocks, new? beat up? brand?
    3. do you have a crate of mice in the back seat?
    4. I dont know anything about pro comps stuff. but here is a pic, what are the flat things on the top left corner?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lift-kit-procomp_7740.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	806

How long do you let it sit when you leave it? a week? long enough for a glaze of rust to grow on the rotors? thats what would make a squeek immediately, then stop.
    1. Already done - used lithium grease as everyone says WD-40 doesn't work, doesn't last, or attracts more junk.
    2. Shocks - Bilstein 5160's with remote reservoir, brand new (again, Jeep only has 7000 miles on it.)
    3. No crate of mice, good thought though.
    4. Pic shows lower control arms in the upper left of the pic.

It can sit for 30 minutes and then the brakes will squeak when reversing.
    2014 Jeep JKU Sahara, Manual - /OlllllllO\ - 4" Metal Cloak lift, 37" Toyo Open Country's on 20" XD Bully Rims, 4.56 Yukon gears, Mopar High Top Fenders, ARB Front Bull Bar Bumper, ARB Rear Bumper, Teraflex HD Tire Carrier, Teraflex Tire Carrier Accessory Mount, Twin Rotopax mount, Hi-Lift Jack mounted on front bumper, Reverse LED work lights, Warn 9.5ti winch, Synergy Drag Link, Trackbar Relocation Bracket, AMP Power Steps, JK1001 Radio, SpiderShade.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteRavenRR View Post
    Upper left stuff is Pro Comps control arms. I've read lots of bad reviews on those, especially the bushings. I agree on the rotors after sitting for a while. That's the only part that squeaks on my '07.
    So last night I did find that the lower control arms that attach at the body have zerks in them. Problem is, they are difficult to get to. The zerks in the rear control arms are pretty well a non-starter, there is just no way to get to them as they are at a 90 degree angle and only a small access hole. The fronts might be possible.

After pushing and pulling as much as I could from under the Jeep last night, I do think the majority of my sounds are coming from the control arms.

The plot thickens. After lots of research, I believe it is the control arm bushings, and that they are poly bushings which just squeak really bad. So far, the best advice I've read that seems easy to use teflon tape. The jeep came with the lift, I didn't put it on, so now I've got to research and figure out how to take the control arms off and then figure out how to apply teflon to them to see if this fixes it.

It really is crazy in researching this just how many cars have squeaks related to poly bushings, and even rubber ones. Again, year 2014, you'd think we'd come up with some different technology that eliminated this all together.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
    The plot thickens. After lots of research, I believe it is the control arm bushings, and that they are poly bushings which just squeak really bad. So far, the best advice I've read that seems easy to use teflon tape. The jeep came with the lift, I didn't put it on, so now I've got to research and figure out how to take the control arms off and then figure out how to apply teflon to them to see if this fixes it.

It really is crazy in researching this just how many cars have squeaks related to poly bushings, and even rubber ones. Again, year 2014, you'd think we'd come up with some different technology that eliminated this all together.
    Do you still have your stock LCAs?

RJR Offroad has bushing that are "Guaranteed not to squeak" (for older jeeps) and they are poly. Personally..I'm not sure there is a real solution, just band-aids.

The control arms aren't hard to take loose. Youtube has several videos. The Teflon tape might just do the trick and do keep us in the loop!

Quote Originally Posted by JeepLab View Post
    Do you still have your stock LCAs?
    Nope, the Pro Comp Stage 2 replaces upper and lower control arms. It's not like an AEV lift that simply relocates and keeps as much stock as possible. This is a complete replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Snarf77 View Post
    RJR Offroad has bushing that are "Guaranteed not to squeak" (for older jeeps) and they are poly. Personally..I'm not sure there is a real solution, just band-aids.

The control arms aren't hard to take loose. Youtube has several videos. The Teflon tape might just do the trick and do keep us in the loop!
    Yeah, I'm guessing you just jack up the body to current height, unbolt the control arm and pull it out? Even then, I *might* only need to put the teflon on the body side of the control arm, as it seems like that is the part that is squeaking. Of course, if I'm going through all the trouble, might as well do both sides, right?

I'll have to check out RJR Offroad. I'm curious if they might have bushings that fit the Pro Comp arms? I'm guessing that every arm has a different bushing size requirement?

Either way, you guys can be certain that if I try the teflon tape and it works, that you'll be the first to know.