Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

RK Sport Carbon Fiebr Blister Hood

Having hung with the Jeeplab crew for some time now, I will also be moving to forced injection as soon as possible for Jesse's Girl, my metalcloak'd 2012 2 door Rubicon. RK sport makes some really nice hoods for the JK that direct a lot of air volume right over where the intake is/will be. Plus, they just look nice. Either way, if I'm going turbo, then it can't hurt to get more air to the right location.

They offer a fiberglass which looks basically like this (clean, minimalist IMHO):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rk blister 2.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	809

Then they have a full carbon setup (too much contrast for me - probably look best with grey/black jeeps):

Name:	rk full carbon.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	810

Name:	rk full carbon 2.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	811

Then, what I chose - something in the middle..fiberglass with a carbon fiber blister. Gives me what i feel is a nice mix of paint-match and carbon awesomeness:

Name:	rk carbon 1.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	812

Name:	rk carbon 2.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	10.2 KB 
ID:	813

So it was ordered, shipped directly to my paint shop. They put it in the queue with their other work and started on it yesterday. Pretty excited..thought I'd share some pictures as they come in.

The first thing they did was dust spray the under-side of the hood. Nothing exciting..just some paint to even out the look of the inside.

Today they sent me some pics of it prepped for paint and primer'd. Looking pretty good - doesn't look like a supremely easy tape job, but these guys know what they are doing.

And the bottom taped up against any over spray.

That's all I have for now. I hope to get some pics of it all painted up, before it goes (literally) next door to be vinyl wrapped with xpel like the rest of my jeep. That should keep it looking fresh for a while.

Here it is after removing some masking tape for the carbon fiber. The vents are still masked up, but it is certainly looking good! After all the tape comes off, its heading to be wrapped with Xpel film.

i cant wait to see if it matches perfect. the dark cherry metallic paint is a PAIN to match.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepLab View Post
    i cant wait to see if it matches perfect. the dark cherry metallic paint is a PAIN to match.
    I know that for a fact from my MC fenders. Just a shade off..its growing on me though. This looks more accurate.

Here she is!

Looks good!

Quote Originally Posted by Snarf77 View Post

Here she is!
    I can't wait to see this up close.

I want check out the tape job

Ive been following this build a long time.

I cannot wait to see the finished product. Snarf, your plan was sound with the brown and cherry. I was a fan.

Now with the black mixed in, I'm going to have to see the finished product... Guess it will match the tires....

Im waiting on this one also. A very rare original build. They are risky....but when they come out good, they are show stoppers.