Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pznivy View Post
    Ive been following this build a long time.

I cannot wait to see the finished product. Snarf, your plan was sound with the brown and cherry. I was a fan.

Now with the black mixed in, I'm going to have to see the finished product... Guess it will match the tires....
    Yeah..I'm with ya. BUT..the jeep has SO much black its unavoidable so hopefully it will be enough to stand out, but not look cheesy. The interior is black..the spiderwebshade is black..tires, like you said. I don't want TOO much brown/tan so hopefully it will all come together. We'll soon find out; I hope to pick it up this friday. I feel like this hood will deserve some aftermarket hood hold-downs. Recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by Snarf77 View Post
    I feel like this hood will deserve some aftermarket hood hold-downs. Recommendations?

Betty wears Drake Latches

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Drake latches.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	814

I flipped them around so the wires face backward instead of forward. more streamlined.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepLab View Post
    Betty wears Drake Latches

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Drake latches.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	814

I flipped them around so the wires face backward instead of forward. more streamlined.
    I saw those..so clean, so simple. Adjustable. Correct colors. I may have copy you.

Quote Originally Posted by Snarf77 View Post
    I saw those..so clean, so simple. Adjustable. Correct colors. I may have copy you.
    be my guest,

Its not copying, it just doing it right.

I like what snarf is doing here. Here's the issues I see. .02

The hood is beautiful. I especially like the upgrade from one sprayer to 2 as i think snarfs jeep is a 12.

Here's the drawbacks. 1. Its a 1k$ hood right? So your in the hole 1k unpainted, then you bring it to a shop for paint... this is a HUGE risk, even more huge when your talking about a metallic color thats difficult to match like the dark cherry.

When this paint shop messes up, what then? your out the money for the hood, and the paint, and you have a hood you don't want to use.

Is it possible that RK sport would release these hoods painted with real factory paint? So you know it will match perfect when you receive it? I'd pay extra for that.

Just having watched JL's problems with powder coat for BB makes you realize that all shops are not created equal, and he is near NYC. Imagine the problem of finding a good shop in wyoming? RKsport - If you are reading this, consider an option for selling painted hoods. I think quadratec sells AEV hoods matched with paint codes, so I'm pretty sure its possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexx19 View Post
    I like what snarf is doing here. Here's the issues I see. .02

The hood is beautiful. I especially like the upgrade from one sprayer to 2 as i think snarfs jeep is a 12.

Here's the drawbacks. 1. Its a 1k$ hood right? So your in the hole 1k unpainted, then you bring it to a shop for paint... this is a HUGE risk, even more huge when your talking about a metallic color thats difficult to match like the dark cherry.

When this paint shop messes up, what then? your out the money for the hood, and the paint, and you have a hood you don't want to use.

Is it possible that RK sport would release these hoods painted with real factory paint? So you know it will match perfect when you receive it? I'd pay extra for that.

Just having watched JL's problems with powder coat for BB makes you realize that all shops are not created equal, and he is near NYC. Imagine the problem of finding a good shop in wyoming? RKsport - If you are reading this, consider an option for selling painted hoods. I think quadratec sells AEV hoods matched with paint codes, so I'm pretty sure its possible.

I see the point your making. It dosent matter how good RKsport makes the hood, if your pain shop ruins it. If they could do it all in house, It would be worth a few hundred more.

I understand not wanting to paint them in house. Imagine the headache of having to worry about scratches and dents during shipping. Saves them the hassle of returns. Poison Spyder has the same policy.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteRavenRR View Post
    I understand not wanting to paint them in house. Imagine the headache of having to worry about scratches and dents during shipping. Saves them the hassle of returns. Poison Spyder has the same policy.
    You are exactly right. Shipping something painted..one chip = returned item.

My hood WAS painted with factory paint. SO many issued with OEM painting at a shop then shipping. You see..there are 4 or 5 shades of FACTORY deep cherry to contend with. I had to send a part of my jeep to the paint shop so they could aim for the correct shade. You'd have to do the same for RKsport or anything else you want factory painted. I recall learning a few months back that they even have 3 or 4 shades of OEM black for the same paint code...wild.

Hopefully the hood will be close enough in color that when I'm flying by them (on or off road), they wont' have time to notice the minor variation!

Drake latches and AEV dual sprayer kit ordered!

Drove up to my paint shop and vinyl shop last Thursday morning to install the hood. The paint shop was infinitely better than my last shop. They color matched the hood perfectly..it is indistinguishable from the rest of the jeep. They even textured matched the peel of the clear coat so it looked OEM. They did all this with only a piece of my jeep to match with. Super pleased this go round. Here it is..note the fenders are a slightly lighter shade--but not the hood.