Quote Originally Posted by ljvsnyder View Post
great idea on using the spare tire hub and great write up. I have been looking at the bluetooth enabled backup camera's that are now being offered, but the current camera doesn't have IR emitters so night view would be terrible.
Yeah, being a techie, I've learned, stay away from wireless if you can run hard cable. Besides, even with a bluetooth, you still need to get power to the device so you still need a cable for that. In my case, I used the 25" RCA cable for both the video signal and the 12v power to the device. The NavTV offers a 12v send that activates when it requests video from the cameras, so you can actually turn on the rear camera while you're traveling down the road. A lot of guys have been pulling the 12v from the rear backup lights, which means the power is only sent when you put it in reverse. My kids get a kick out of watching people pick their nose while we are stopped in traffic and they don't know we're watching them.

Now, that being said, I was thinking of picking up a battery powered wireless camera (as my 3rd camera) and mounting the receiver in the dash, and then with my wireless camera, just use it anywhere I need that day. So if I get some weird rattle from below, say from the right rear suspension, I can just go hang the camera down there with bungee's and then go drive down the road and monitor what is going on. Maybe the next day, for fun, I want to mount it up above the front windshield (not sure why?) or how about if I had an extension pole and I wanted to put it up high to see above a tree line, or maybe use that pole to look underneath the Jeep like what the border patrol does. Wireless does have advantages, but I wouldn't use it as my primary backup camera.

Then I got thinking... I could mount an AppleTV in the dash or a Google video receiver and stream wirelessly from a mobile device, say if someone wanted to show some pics on a larger screen that they just took of my Jeep - Timmy... (BTW, my Jeeps name is Timmy, named after that disabled kid Timmy from SouthPark that can only ever say his name ;-) My name is Rob.)