Close

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    great idea on using the spare tire hub and great write up. I have been looking at the bluetooth enabled backup camera's that are now being offered, but the current camera doesn't have IR emitters so night view would be terrible.
    2013 Wrangler JKU - Rock Lobster Red, Smittybilt SRC rear bumper and side steps; RR drop in reusable air filter; Quadratec floor liners; 285/75-16 Falken Rockey Mountain ATSII, Rebel Offroad grab handles and fire extinguisher holder.

Quote Originally Posted by ljvsnyder View Post
    great idea on using the spare tire hub and great write up. I have been looking at the bluetooth enabled backup camera's that are now being offered, but the current camera doesn't have IR emitters so night view would be terrible.
    Yeah, being a techie, I've learned, stay away from wireless if you can run hard cable. Besides, even with a bluetooth, you still need to get power to the device so you still need a cable for that. In my case, I used the 25" RCA cable for both the video signal and the 12v power to the device. The NavTV offers a 12v send that activates when it requests video from the cameras, so you can actually turn on the rear camera while you're traveling down the road. A lot of guys have been pulling the 12v from the rear backup lights, which means the power is only sent when you put it in reverse. My kids get a kick out of watching people pick their nose while we are stopped in traffic and they don't know we're watching them.

Now, that being said, I was thinking of picking up a battery powered wireless camera (as my 3rd camera) and mounting the receiver in the dash, and then with my wireless camera, just use it anywhere I need that day. So if I get some weird rattle from below, say from the right rear suspension, I can just go hang the camera down there with bungee's and then go drive down the road and monitor what is going on. Maybe the next day, for fun, I want to mount it up above the front windshield (not sure why?) or how about if I had an extension pole and I wanted to put it up high to see above a tree line, or maybe use that pole to look underneath the Jeep like what the border patrol does. Wireless does have advantages, but I wouldn't use it as my primary backup camera.

Then I got thinking... I could mount an AppleTV in the dash or a Google video receiver and stream wirelessly from a mobile device, say if someone wanted to show some pics on a larger screen that they just took of my Jeep - Timmy... (BTW, my Jeeps name is Timmy, named after that disabled kid Timmy from SouthPark that can only ever say his name ;-) My name is Rob.)

2014 Jeep JKU Sahara, Manual - /OlllllllO\ - 4" Metal Cloak lift, 37" Toyo Open Country's on 20" XD Bully Rims, 4.56 Yukon gears, Mopar High Top Fenders, ARB Front Bull Bar Bumper, ARB Rear Bumper, Teraflex HD Tire Carrier, Teraflex Tire Carrier Accessory Mount, Twin Rotopax mount, Hi-Lift Jack mounted on front bumper, Reverse LED work lights, Warn 9.5ti winch, Synergy Drag Link, Trackbar Relocation Bracket, AMP Power Steps, JK1001 Radio, SpiderShade.