Close

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Rear camera install in hub of spare wheel

Hello all,

Just thought I'd share in case it gives anyone else some ideas...

I just installed a rear backup camera in the hub of my rear spare tire. I had seen installs down low in the bumper, and pics of things like AEV's camera mount for the center parking light. I didn't care for either option as one was too low for my liking, and the other too high. Since I run XD Bully wheels, which have a plastic center hub, I realized I could just drill a hole in the spare tire hub and mount the camera there. If I need the spare tire, I just don't use the "spare" hub, I use the one already on the wheel with the flat tire that I'm replacing.

Anyway... I bought a Nav TV which allowed me to hookup two or three cameras. Did a bunch of research and settled on some 600TVL camera's with a 1/3" sony CCD camera in them, as I wanted a little higher quality than normal. Install was a snap once I figured out how to install the NavTV, and that the "security lockout" of the radio goes away once you start the vehicle (I thought I was stopped by the anti-theft feature of the radio when the NavTV was installed when by dumb luck, I decided to start the Jeep and all of the sudden the radio functioned as normal after the NavTV was put in place.)

Anyway, here's some pics. I can elaborate more if someone is interested. I'm only showing the pics for the camera install here as most of the NavTV install is documented elsewhere on the InternetWeb.

Parts:

1) NavTV AllGIG_XG-HS
    2) NavTV AV Harness
    3) Cameras of your choosing (next time, I'll go with YanTech cameras as you can enable mirror mode if you want for a front camera http://www.yantechusa.com/cubecart/i...d&productId=12)
    4) Various cables as needed from Radio Shack. In my case, I needed a BNC to RCA adapter, and a 25 foot RCA cable to run from the spare tire area up to the radio.

Pics:

I had to enlarge the hole in the tire mount slightly as I wanted to put the hub from the back of the tire mount forward so that I could take the spare tire off without the center hub "falling" out.
    Attachment 819

Pic of test fitting of center hub
    Attachment 820

Marked location of how far I wanted the hub to stick out (I didn't stick it out as far as what it sticks out when on the tire as I wanted to be able to get the tire off easily with the hub staying there.)
    Attachment 821

Painted my "enlarging" of the hole slightly to make sure it doesn't rust out long term
    Attachment 822

Drill 1 1/4" hole in the center of the hub.
    Attachment 823

(urgh, only 5 pics can be uploaded per post!!! I'll post a second message.)
    Last edited by Timmy; 06-18-2014 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Had too much wine when when typing up - corrected grammatical errors.
    2014 Jeep JKU Sahara, Manual - /OlllllllO\ - 4" Metal Cloak lift, 37" Toyo Open Country's on 20" XD Bully Rims, 4.56 Yukon gears, Mopar High Top Fenders, ARB Front Bull Bar Bumper, ARB Rear Bumper, Teraflex HD Tire Carrier, Teraflex Tire Carrier Accessory Mount, Twin Rotopax mount, Hi-Lift Jack mounted on front bumper, Reverse LED work lights, Warn 9.5ti winch, Synergy Drag Link, Trackbar Relocation Bracket, AMP Power Steps, JK1001 Radio, SpiderShade.