Close

Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
    So i got news my kit is shipping today . Yeeeaahhhh
    Im already suffereing sleep deficiency, a lot of day dreaming, no work efficiency.
    Is that normal ..... Lol

Quote Originally Posted by AGOM View Post
    So i got news my kit is shipping today . Yeeeaahhhh
    Im already suffereing sleep deficiency, a lot of day dreaming, no work efficiency.
    Is that normal ..... Lol
    I understand. Will you be doing the installation or working with a shop to do the installation? Make sure to take some pictures before and after installation!

Actually i will be doing the installation, i have a freind who is an expert that will try and get time out of his shop to check-up on me.
    I will do my best to get as many pictures posted, thats if i don't get too deep into the zone!!
    Will keep you posted

anyone installed the Turbo stage 2 on an automatic trans 2012+ jk ?
    any pics or instructions on whats going on with the trans cooler and intercooler?

I have to ask guys, how do you like the turbo better than the SC's I know with the SC it takes power to make power and not the case when it comes to turbo's. Really just looking for your personal opinion's since there isn't anyone around here running them. In addition, when it comes to the turbo I seen your dyno numbers, but I am just curious if you have gained any lower end power or is it all in the mid to upper. Thanks for your time and I have to say that what all of you are doing is really going the extra mile and I just want to say thanks.
    Rob

Cant answer you cuz i didn't install mine yet. I have a question anyone knows if we can fit a turbo timer plug and play

Quote Originally Posted by AGOM View Post
    anyone installed the Turbo stage 2 on an automatic trans 2012+ jk ?
    any pics or instructions on whats going on with the trans cooler and intercooler?
    i have an automatic, a shop did my install and it was a challenge for them to get the intercooler and transmission cooler to fit and to function. I posted some pics of the final install some threads back.. look for them on here and let me know if you need more pics. Hope the install goes well.. Keep us updated!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    how do you like the turbo better than the SC's
    I'm still waiting for JeepLab to get the Prodigy, RIPP and Magnuson Jeeps together for a compare/contrast driving session. You guys need to take turns driving each other's Jeeps then each write up your thoughts on how they compare subjectively (driveability, throttle response, "fun factor", etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    I am just curious if you have gained any lower end power or is it all in the mid to upper.
    The gains are definitely concentrated in the mid to upper rpm range. The lower RPM range is tough to comment on right now because I'm still working with Prodigy to resolve some annoyances in the 1500-2500 rpm range. If this RPM range can be fully refined with tuning, then I should theoretical have *some* gains as low as about 1800 rpm, because thats where the turbo starts creating positive boost at full throttle.

There's about 1 psi boost at 2500. Soon after 2500, the boost climbs sharply to full boost around 4000 rpm, then full boost is maintained from 4000-6500 rpm. The kick-in-the-pants power starts around 3000-3500 rpm.

BTW - I finally found a straight answer to "how much boost?": https://www.prodigyperformance.com/3...ler-turbo-kit/

According to that page, stage 1 produces 6.8 psi and stage 2 produces 8.2 psi.

There's some confusion about the waste gate spring ratings, because they are rated for a certain amount of boost with an assumption of a 1:1 relationship between exhaust pressure and boost pressure. The waste gate is a simple mechanical valve that involves the exhaust pressure trying to crack the valve open, while both the spring AND the boost pressure fight to keep the valve closed. Different combinations of turbo turbine and compressor housings and wheels result in different amounts of "leverage" that the exhaust has on the turbo against the intake air pressure, so different turbo systems on different vehicles can all have different relationships between exhaust pressure and the resulting boost pressure. To over-simplify it, the turbo is almost like a set of gears through which the exhaust "drives" the intake pressure, and different turbo setups have different "gear ratios".

So TiAL's wastegate springs are rated for how much boost they will allow, assuming a 1:1 exhaust:boost pressure ratio, with a note that a +/-2 psi difference in actual boost pressure is not uncommon.

Stage 1 includes the red spring, rated for 0.4 bar (5.8 psi), but Prodigy states 6.8 psi in the page above, and calls it a 7 psi system (small amount of rounding; fair enough).

Stage 2 includes the white spring, rated for 0.5 bar (7.25 psi), but Prodigy states 8.2 psi and calls it a 9 psi system (that's quite a bit of rounding; I think 8 psi would be more fair).

So this means the Prodigy turbo has *less* than 1:1 exhaust:boost pressure ratio (more boost from less exhaust pressure), and produces more than the spring's rated boost. Looks like the pattern is that we could assume that the Prodigy turbo system will make about 1 psi more boost than the waste gate spring's rating.

I was seeing 8 psi with stage 1, so I must have had something wrong with my install (perhaps a small leak in the connection of the boost sensing line to the waste gate?). This explains why stage 2 didn't really feel obviously more powerful than stage 1 to me, because I was getting extra power from stage 1 that I shouldn't have had

I'm seeing about 8.0-8.1 psi max with stage 2, so I'm much closer to "normal" now. I'm either within a normal amount of small variation of boost pressure, or I have a tiny boost leak somewhere bleeding off 0.1-0.2 psi.