Close

Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by UselessPickles View Post
    This may sound too silly to be possible... but I noticed that the JeepLab stage 2 results have very similar peak numbers to Prodigy's stage 1 results. Is there any chance that you have the wrong wastegate spring, and are only getting about 7psi boost instead of about 9psi? A data log of full throttle in 2nd gear should be easy enough to confirm you're getting stage 2 boost levels.
    I personally changed the wastegate spring; non-issue. I will do a data log of a 2nd gear full acceleration and send it your way nonetheless.

Alright Folks! Just received the stage 2 kit today!! Bad news though the shop cant get me in until late next week, and maybe not even then..At the latest, week after next..(the week of the 18th). I will be out of town all week next week and ill be dropping off the jeep at the shop Monday (11th). Hopefully they can dyno stage 1, install stage 2, dyno again while im out of town and document the dyno and install. At the very least if they cant do a video, ill have the dyno passes pre stage 2 and post. Keep you guys updated.

Quote Originally Posted by NOLAjeeper View Post
    Alright Folks! Just received the stage 2 kit today!! Bad news though the shop cant get me in until late next week, and maybe not even then..At the latest, week after next..(the week of the 18th). I will be out of town all week next week and ill be dropping off the jeep at the shop Monday (11th). Hopefully they can dyno stage 1, install stage 2, dyno again while im out of town and document the dyno and install. At the very least if they cant do a video, ill have the dyno passes pre stage 2 and post. Keep you guys updated.
    see if its a dynojet and weather or not we can get a file.

Id like to check the conditions vs the chart line to get to the bottom of weather or not Jesse's dyno is "off".

Quote Originally Posted by Snarf77 View Post
    I personally changed the wastegate spring; non-issue. I will do a data log of a 2nd gear full acceleration and send it your way nonetheless.
    Did you have the 7Psi spring that came with the kit? what did you replace it with? 10Psi? My kit came with a 7Psi spring.. Stage 2 is suppose to be running 9 Psi right?..

Did you have the 7Psi spring that came with the kit? what did you replace it with? 10Psi? My kit came with a 7Psi spring.. Stage 2 is suppose to be running 9 Psi right?..
    The spring was in a small bag that came with the stage II setup. Nothing was on the spring to indicate the PSI that it represented. I just followed the instructions and replaced it. I believe if someone goes directly to a State II from stock - the correct spring may be pre-installed. On my setup and yours, the parts required slight modification (i.e. spring).

The spring was in a small bag that came with the stage II setup. Nothing was on the spring to indicate the PSI that it represented. I just followed the instructions and replaced it. I believe if someone goes directly to a State II from stock - the correct spring may be pre-installed. On my setup and yours, the parts required slight modification (i.e. spring).
    Yeah i have the lil bag with the spring inside it.. It is tagged with a "7psi" label..

Yeah i have the lil bag with the spring inside it.. It is tagged with a "7psi" label..
    Disregard everything i wrote about the 7Psi label on the spring. I read something different and thought it was the Wastegate spring bag. You are correct in that the spring does not indicate the PSI it represents. Sorry for the misinformation and confusion.

I think the 4.88 gears on Jesse's Girl could have significantly affected the dyno results, especially because it was run with stock 32" tires, and because of the nature of how a turbo works.

The overall gear ratio of 4th gear on that setup is close to 3rd gear with 3.73 gears, and is like something between 2nd and 3rd gear with 3.21 gears. This means that Jesse's Girl did not have as much load on the engine when run on the dyno as compared to Prodigy's dyno runs. This would lead to lower dyno numbers for 2 reasons:

1) The already-discussed issue of quicker acceleration on the dyno leading to lower dyno numbers because more torque is lost to accelerating the drive train more quickly.
    2) Less load on the engine and quicker acceleration causes the turbo to spool up more slowly with respect to engine speed, so boost increases "later" in the rpm range, resulting in a lower peak torque that occurs higher up in the rpm range.

Additionally, common dyno practice is to use the transmission gear that is closest to a 1:1 ratio. 5th gear is a 1:1 ratio on the Wrangler, so it's possible that Prodigy's results are from a 5th gear dyno pull, meaning that Prodigy's dyno pull had even that much more load on the engine for slower acceleration, allowing the turbo to spool up at lower rpms, and giving up less torque to accelerating the drive train.

To get as close to Prodigy's conditions as possible, we need to find out what transmission gear they used for the dyno pull, then run Jesse's Girl one gear higher with stock tires. Even at one gear higher, Jesse's Girl will still be geared overall a little shorter (numerically higher), plus the driveshaft will be accelerating more quickly than the stock jeep (using up some of the torque), so I would still expect the numbers to be a bit lower than Prodigy's results.

Jeff: to be honest I don't believe in dynos what I believe is personal experience so my question is what do you feel about the gain and did u got what expected from the kit. Same questions to others (impression). I already ordered the kit (still waiting) but once I installed I will try to compare it with other cars plus other upgraded JK if possible. Gears affect how quick is your car , but in major view it dosent affect the overall performance.

My personal experience is all subjective, so it's not a valid basis for comparison. Butt dynos are much less trustworthy than real dynos. Starting around 3000 rpm, it goes fast, makes cool noises, and makes me smile. How fast is fast? Faster than stock is all I can tell you. Is it faster than RIPP or Magnuson? I have no idea. I haven't even seen one of their kits in person. Is it fast enough to make you smile? I wouldn't know.

That's why we use tools (dynos) to measure objective representations of performance (torque/power curves). If the tools are standardized and used consistently, then you get consistent and comparable results. We have seen inconsistent results at this point and are trying to figure out the cause inconsistency so it can be corrected to ensure that we have results that are consistent and comparable to other dyno results (stock, RIPP and Magnuson).