Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wilton Tradesman 1755 Vise

One vise we looked at was the Wilton Tradesman 1755. If you don’t know Wilton, they are one of the leaders in vises. Dating back to an enclosed spindle design from 1941, You can find old ones on ebay selling for at premium prices. The Tradesman was our choice as it is the lower end of the “made in USA” Wilton line up, but still heirloom quality. When I die, I expect my children to fight over who gets the vise. That’s how well they are built.

The 1755 weighs about 53lbs, comes with a lifetime lubrication. So they really need zero maintenance. The jaws are reversible, so you can select serrated or reverse to flat jaws if you choose. The Iron is 60,000 psi ductile iron, The best level of iron ive found so far. The next level up in material would be forged steel.

Operation- It works as good as it looks. The attention to detail is all over this vise. Little things like the handle being at 12o’clock when the vise is closed shows that when the spindle is placed, its placed specificly for that purpose. It makes it feel like the vise is put together like a swiss clock. A very beefy 53lb swiss clock.

Jaws- The jaws are hardened steel, so you really would have to work to wear them out, but if you did, you can replace them, or opt to change the jaw completely to a different metal like brass to avoid damaging delicate work.

The best part, I think, is the replaceable pipe jaws. This vise will accomodate a 3" pipe. Pipe is measured by the interior diameter, but to my knowledge, the wilton pipe capacity goes by the outer diameter. So a 2.5" pipe, with a 1/4 inch wall, is really 3" at the outer diameter. So you want the biggest possible pipe capacity.

Warranty - Lifetime Warranty.

Here are some shots of the vise unmounted. The lock downs on either side have teeth, in addition to clamping pressure, So when you lock it down, Its really locked in place.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wilton Tradesman 1755 Vise (10).jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	939

Name:	Wilton Tradesman 1755 Vise (6).jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	940

Name:	Wilton Tradesman 1755 Vise (9).jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	941

Thats my leatherman charge in the picture, so you can get an ideal of the size of this vise.

Here's some video of the Wilton 1755 coming out of the box -

Another shot next to my drill for size

Name:	Wilton Tradesman 1755 Vise (3).jpg 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	943

Here is the anvil

Name:	Wilton Tradesman 1755 Vise (8).jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	944

This shot shows how close to the edge of the table it should be mounted. 1/8 inch in.

Name:	Wilton Tradesman 1755 Vise (2).jpg 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	945

Lubricated completely from the factory. Never need to lube it again.

Name:	Wilton Tradesman 1755 Vise (5).jpg 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	946

I have been looking at one of these for a LONG time.

I wanted the pipe combo model, Same as this but about twice the price. Does this thing feel at all cheap? Or is the trademan plenty of tool for part time use. I dont work in the shop. I work in an office, but with vises, you want to spend the money once.

The cost of the pipe combo model has been what has deterred me from buying a Wilton so far. If you guys dont break this tradesman, it might be the nudge I need.

yea, im in the same boat. Ive looked at those ultra expensive vises. Are they really worth more than the stuff off the shelf at home depot? I mean, i know they are nicer, but both will hold stuff right?

If i break a $50 vise, and have to replace it...no big deal. If I break a $500 vise, I will really be upset.

Quote Originally Posted by Pznivy View Post
    yea, im in the same boat. Ive looked at those ultra expensive vises. Are they really worth more than the stuff off the shelf at home depot? I mean, i know they are nicer, but both will hold stuff right?

If i break a $50 vise, and have to replace it...no big deal. If I break a $500 vise, I will really be upset.
    The point is that whenever you go to work with it. Its there. that you dont have a piece move in the vise, or snap the jaw in the middle of the night and have to stop until you get a new vise, mount it...etc.

If you break a wilton pipe combo vise, post a picture. I used one in a shop and dont see that monster getting broken ever.

If your house was hit by a tornado, the vise would remain. The tradesman is a good way to get a quality vise into the hands of the masses, but the Pipe combo vise is for the professionals.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoinkers View Post
    I have been looking at one of these for a LONG time.

I wanted the pipe combo model, Same as this but about twice the price. Does this thing feel at all cheap?
    Nothing about this vise comes off as cheap nor does any corner seem to be cut. It also shares the same footprint as the 1765 which is the 6.5 inch version of the same vise. (vise tested is the 1755 with a 5.5 inch jaw)

That makes me think that the base on the 1755 is built to the parameters of the larger 1765 Tradesman vise. So its got an oversized base compared to its jaw size.

if you break a $500 dollar wilton vise the life time warranty will fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by wiltonguy1317 View Post
    if you break a $500 dollar wilton vise the life time warranty will fix it.
    Is it like snap on where you just send back the broken pieces? Or do I have to explain how I broke it? Prove "normal use"?

Base too? Is snapping off one of the feet on the base the same as breaking the jaw?