Close

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RIPPMODS View Post
    To answer your question, Because at RIPP we believe the best foot forward is the 1000's of kits running soundly world wide..... NOT Hanging the front wheels up in the air and saying we're the more powerful.... We can be plenty more powerful that we are now, but it's not worth the down side.
    RIPPTECH
    Um...
    Pretty sure the power levels are NOT the same considering we run the same boost levels. The difference is turbochargers make more power at the same boost level. There are pros and cons to both but who makes more power is not really a debate. The wheels hanging in the air is a testament to how powerful a Jeep can be. That Jeep is daily driven, stock engine and has never broken anything but an axle.

Quote Originally Posted by boosted1 View Post
    Um...
    Pretty sure the power levels are NOT the same considering we run the same boost levels. The difference is turbochargers make more power at the same boost level. There are pros and cons to both but who makes more power is not really a debate. The wheels hanging in the air is a testament to how powerful a Jeep can be. That Jeep is daily driven, stock engine and has never broken anything but an axle.
    Thanks for speaking up. I'm not really feeling the good vibes from RIPP taking unnecessary jabs at competition, especially when unprovoked in a user's install thread. I have a firm belief that anyone who has to boost themselves up to feel better by stepping on others, is kinda lame.

Let's not turn this altitude install thread into a debate thread. I doubt the RIPP gent has actually driven a turbo'd jeep. I've driven both..the turbo definitely is more powerful. To what end, that is debatable. RIPP can't knock reliability because nobody has had a failurewith the more powerful option. We truly appreciate RIPP stepping up to answer user questions, but keep it civil.

Um...
    I didn't feel like ripp's comment was calling out the turbo guys. They are stating that the SC could be set up to spin up more boost than it does, but they need to keep the beast tame. All tuners have the same issue. The turbo guys can make more power too, but for any manufacturer sell it to the masses, they need to make sure that it dosent have problems with the tune.

Both mods can make more power, but both companies have to tune it so that it drives the way the end user thinks it should.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexx19 View Post
    I didn't feel like ripp's comment was calling out the turbo guys.
    Considering that Prodigy has promotional material showing their 3.8 12 psi turbo jeep lifting the front wheels in the air at a drag strip (and they are the only forced induction option to do this with a Jeep), and that Prodigy claims to have the most powerful forced induction option for the Jeep, I think it's quite reasonable to conclude that the following was in reference to Prodigy, and could imply that Prodigy is sacrificing reliability for power:

Quote Originally Posted by RIPPMODS View Post
    To answer your question, Because at RIPP we believe the best foot forward is the 1000's of kits running soundly world wide..... NOT Hanging the front wheels up in the air and saying we're the more powerful.... We can be plenty more powerful that we are now, but it's not worth the down side.
    Prodigy's point above was that both Prodigy and RIPP are running similar boost levels, so the Prodigy turbo isn't necessarily stressing the engine more than RIPP to get more power. With the supercharger, there is more parasitic power loss to directly driving the supercharger itself. A turbo is inherently more efficient, so a larger portion of the internal forces/stresses produced in the engine are actually transmitted to the drivetrain. A supercharger would need to produce more boost and internal forces/stresses in the engine to match the power output of a turbo. If there was another competitor with a centrifugal supercharger using more boost than RIPP to produce more power, then it would be fair for RIPP to bring up the question of reduced long-term reliability in that competitor's product.

Let's just assume that RIPP did not intend to imply anything about the reliability of the Prodigy turbo, and instead assume that RIPP was simply saying that they are comfortable with their current balance of power and reliability within the context of their own centrifugal supercharger platform, and that they choose not to sacrifice reliability to increase power output and try to compete in peak dyno numbers with a competitor's offering that has an inherent advantage in power production efficiency.

Like Prodigy said, all the forced induction options have different pros/cons. Designed properly, they can all have similar overall reliability, but differences in peak power, throttle response, shape of the torque curve, etc. Peak power/torque is not everything, so there's nothing wrong with not being the most powerful option. None of the forced induction options are inherently overall better/worse. We all have different priorities and desires.

Ok back on track now with the thread. I have got about 1,000 miles on the JK with the RIPP installed. I've put some sticky notes in the back of me brain to share with you all. In no particular order. The power is great when it kicks in at 3000 RPMs, I wish it was sooner for everyday driving( especially with a lot of elevation changes)... But on the up side as soon as you touch the throttle in 4LOW. I had a bolt and copper crush washer decide to not play well together anymore ( about 50 miles on the unit) and start leaking while I was working on the farm one day. I lost just over 1/8th of the units oil in 80 miles. Of course my luck this happened while all of RIPPs staff was vacationing together and unavailable, annnnd on the weekend, so vortech was closed. When I called them on Monday the bolt and washer cost like $48+ shipping anothe $43 (overnight was $96) wasn't really excited about that, but my Jeep was OOS until I had the new part installed. I have heard a lot of people tell me that power adders would change my mind on gears. These Jeepers have a lot more experience than me mind you. That being said I disagree, the RIPP is great in the power band but so much of my driving is spent under 3000 RPMs. I can stay a gear lower on my trans while towing and crossing mountains, I guess it's just personal preference. Dads has gears and I reallly like it combined with the RIPP. This may be because if I'm under 2200 RPMs and being light on the throttle I get a good bit of throttle surging in every gear. To fix this I either stay above 2400 RPMs or go 50% throttle or greater. I'm enjoying the unit overall, just thought I should share.
    Last edited by Deola; 09-29-2014 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deola View Post
    The power is great when it kicks in at 3000 RPMs, I wish it was sooner for everyday driving( especially with a lot of elevation changes) under 2200 RPMs and being light on the throttle I get a good bit of throttle surging in every gear. To fix this I either stay above 2400 RPMs or go 50% throttle or greater. I'm enjoying the unit overall, just thought I should share.
    Interesting.. Are you going to take this to a dyno and see what it does?

Interesting.. Are you going to take this to a dyno and see what it does?
    that's was the plan I'm having trouble locating a dyno shop in my area

Gears went in yesterday, didn't get to play long but all lagging spots seemed greatly diminished. Got it back late last night, and had to work today I will take it out to the farm and put it through its paces
    Last edited by Deola; 12-11-2014 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deola View Post
    Gears went in yesterday, didn't get to play long but all lagging spots seemed greatly diminished. Got it back late last night, and had to work today I will take it out to the farm and put it through its paces
    What gear size did you go with Deola?

488 yukons