Close

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    We're in the ROCKIES! 9000 feet up. Supercharger is chewing up the mountains. 300 miles to go.

Utah

finally. Utah!

I tried to get a shot of the "Utah" sign, but Pete was driving way too fast.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JeepLab Moab Run Utah.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	166

Krawling with RIPP and ROCK KRAWLER!

Name:	JeepLab Moab Run 3.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	167

Ok, Its been a few months, a few tunes, a few thousand miles, and here's what you should expect with a unit like this RIPP's SuperCharger for the pentastar.

First when you get it on, you will be SHOCKED at the power. Im not kidding, SHOCKED. The pentastar is a very good powerplant, the boys at ripp put it on steriods, and it loves the extra air.

You will drive like a nut at first. The power gushes all thru the powerband, but goes nuts over 3k RPM so your going to want to play there all the time at first. (Manual Trans) Your going to drive like a meth addict for the first few weeks or months. Its that much fun.

My truck makes about 340 horses at the wheels right now, and you can tell from the driver's seat. (35s, 4.10)

Once the smoke clears, and you settle down, you will return to your normal driving habits, and not flooring it over and over. You'll realize the power isnt just BIG, its Good. You will forget the SC is there, its an even power build thru the band so there is no spot where you feel the burst come on.

Outside the whistle sound, wich I think is super cool, (my truck sounds like an F-16) Its a pleasure in the lower powerband in daily driving.

RIPP knocked this out of the park. Remember, my truck took a BEATING in this situation. It was flogged on the dyno with pass after pass at RIPP while they were working out the kinks, then once I stole the keys back, I took it with an unfinished tune and drove it at 85mpg for 29hours (at once) to moab.

No one who buys this thing is going to punish it like we did, and it held up great.

At first I was apprehensive that I was going to ruin my truck doing engine work. I'd never screwed with an engine before. The end result is one of my favorite mods.

I'd like to see someone put one on an unlifted truck and see how fast it is, it will probably put down 360 on the dyno without the big tires.

Mpg

Ok, I've done it. About a week ago I swore I'd keep my truck in the tac's green zone to give you guys an idea of the MPG increase with the SuperCharger.

Before and after install Everything on the truck is pretty much the same.

Before 12.7 mpg
    After 15.8 mpg

Im figuring by the total miles traveled vs gallons required to fill again.

I should note, the After is Premium, and the Before is Regular gas.

Here is a driveby Sound byte

i use 93 octane in Black Betty,

So the fuel costs more, but you should go farther per gallon with the SuperCharger

Fuel cost is offset by better fuel economy. I get 3 MPG better with the S/C.

Maybe someone will figure out down to the penny what the total cost difference is. Betty on regular got 13 MPG before the supercharger, and 16 after (premium). So the price difference is more than just the difference between regular and premium

Keep in mind, you will drive a supercharged jeep more aggressively than a stock unit, so you probably wont see a great MPG gain. Its hard to stay off the gas.

If the pentastars head issues had you concerned with the extra power-

Dont be. My JK was delivered Jan 13 of 12. Meaning it was built in december of 11 when all those guys at chrysler were busted for drinking on the job.

Also, When I installed it, we BEAT THE HELL out of it by racing across the country after, I dont know how many, dyno runs.

No on on earth would beat their truck the way we did and the S/C held up fine. And my head is fine. Believe me I was concerned too. I didnt want to sleep while we were driving to moab because the other guys were driving like the truck was stolen.

SuperStar Unleashed!

Here's the 0-60 clip!

Here's a fun shot. Im on my way to Rock Krawler at 8am on the NY state thruway, I couldnt believe how fast traffic was moving. I could completely cruise at about 90.

Look at the RPMs. this is on 37 inch KM2s and 4.10 gearing. Ungodly fast.

I slowed down to take the picture.

Name:	Ripp Supercharger 9.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	168