Close

Mysterious OIL LEAK?

Ive been dealing with a problem lately.

Its driving me batty.

I will find, 1 drop of oil under the truck in weird places. LIke on the frame. How the F does oil get on the frame?

Where do I trace that back to.

Here is one big clue.. The oil is very clean. I checked the engine oil thinking it might be low, and its not. and its not clean. BB is ready for an oil change.

I think i over filled the front axle, and the breather hose is spitting oil everywhere. Thats the cleaner oil.

Let me know if you guys think the same thing. Ill post some pics.

The first pic is the krawler joint on the 3 Link. It, is not leaking, but there is oil on it. WHERE DID IT COME FROM?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2 (18).jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	953

The frame. Obviously, the frame is not leaking. But there are drips.

Name:	photo 3 (12).jpg 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	954

More frame. More drips.

Name:	photo 2 (19).jpg 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	955

How far can the breather hose spit oil?

Quote Originally Posted by JeepLab View Post
    Here is one big clue.. The oil is very clean. I checked the engine oil thinking it might be low, and its not. and its not clean. BB is ready for an oil change.

I think i over filled the front axle, and the breather hose is spitting oil everywhere. Thats the cleaner oil.
    I can't tell what side of the Jeep is this on? If it's the right side, you have a transmission breather coming up the back of the transmission. If it's on the left, there's front diff breather and transfer case breather.

Left side caps are easier to check. Have you followed them up to their caps to see if they have any fluid around them?

I'm not sure where the oil pressure sender is located. You may locate it and check around the bottom of it. It will take a special socket to remove. I replaced the one on my wife's Suburban and it was a pain in the arse as it was behind the valley wedged down the firewall. My neighbors sender was on the side of his block on a 4 cyl YJ. Again this will be dirty oil though as well.

This oil looks brand new. Im going to drain the front axle today and see if I can get some dye into it.

is that the crossmember thats got oil on it?

Thats pretty far from the breather tube. Get some dye and a black light. That will sort you out.

Clean Oil says breather tube. They can spit pretty far. I'd check the level is it overfilled?

I have nothing to add as far as a solution, but I will say that oil leaks SUUUUUUUUUUCK!

Mysterious OIL LEAK?

How about the shock or the shock resivior? Or in your case the coilover resivior.

Quote Originally Posted by 40inchDozer View Post
    How about the shock or the shock resivior? Or in your case the coilover resivior.
    The stuff in the shock is blue, this is yellow. Im convinced its the breather hose