Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 12 of 12
  1. #11
    I started by removing all the Krawler joints and the flex joint bushings. I used a 5/8" socket to push out the center sleeve.:
    Attachment 1032

    Attachment 1033

    Once the sleeve is out, there are two bushings that need to come out from each side:
    Attachment 1034

    Attachment 1035

    I also used a parts cleaner with a very mild cleaning agent to clean all the grease and crud that were on the Krawler joints themselves.:
    Attachment 1037
    Last edited by WhiteRavenRR; 08-28-2014 at 03:50 PM.

  2. #12
    At this point I had a decision to make. I thought about taking the control arms to get new powder coating, bedline the arms, or just paint them. I decided on just painting them with some self-etching primer, satin black, and then a gloss clear coat. That way, when they get scratched I can just touch them up. The bed lined option would have been nice but I received a new full set of control arm decals from Rock Krawler that wouldn't stick very well to the rough surface of bed liner.

    I broke out the ol' sander and took the arms completely back to bare metal:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CA 10.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	1038

    I then cleaned and then sprayed the self-etching primer:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CA 11.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	1039

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CA 12.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	1040

    I then sprayed a nice satin black, followed by a good clear coat. The final pic so far is of a finished front lower (top) against another lower that has yet to be redone. Also attached is the Monster Pro joint:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CA 13.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	1041

    I sprayed each coat of paint several layers thick to give a nice heavy-duty coating of paint. As of right now, I have 4 arms completely done, 3 that have been primed, and one that hasn't been sanded.

    I called a local off-road shop to see what they charge to install these as they may be more than what I want to get into. They quoted me $425 for the install, not including alignment. I would have to go elsewhere for that.

    I then read through RK's instruction manual to see what all was involved in the installation and I may just do it myself. I can think of $425 on other products I would like to have.

    Stay tuned...

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts