Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Almost killed myself. Time to Diagnose!

So im driving unreasonably fast on the highway, like im known to do, Then the exit ramp is coming up....

I had to put on a down shifting clinic, which im also known to do... LOL

I hit a pot hole at the apex of the turn, and the steering wheel when nuts, shaking left and right violently. I could have sworn that I'd blown a tire.

I had to pull over and inspect the truck. Everything was in order.

Im assuming the stock steering stablizer is overwhelmed?

Most likely you just upset the apple cart. Our Jeeps are not sports cars but we drive them like it. I myself push the hot Rice cars on the on and off ramps. Why just cause I like to feel the G Forces. Sometimes I get a bit of a shake when I am really cooking it. I would imagine if your turning in and then downshifting load/unload cycle, while your hitting the pothole it could make some items bend and flex.

This has happened to me before. It only happened once and it was shortly after I had installed my first lift kit, had the 35s on, and I was transitioning on a highway junction. I think the ESP even kicked on.

I pulled off the highway and into a parking lot, got out, and starting inspecting everything. I was sure if I had blown a shock or a coil came unseated or what the hell happened.

I never found anything out of place and it had never done it again. I did check all the torque on all suspension parts when I got home but everything was nice and tight.

I have heard where the stock steering stabilizer can last a really long time and is enough to run at least 35s.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepLab View Post
    So im driving unreasonably fast on the highway, like im known to do, Then the exit ramp is coming up....

I had to put on a down shifting clinic, which im also known to do... LOL

I hit a pot hole at the apex of the turn, and the steering wheel when nuts, shaking left and right violently. I could have sworn that I'd blown a tire.

I had to pull over and inspect the truck. Everything was in order.

Im assuming the stock steering stablizer is overwhelmed?

Ross, sounds like that's your first bout with DEATH WOBBLE. The two most obvious culprits are a loose or worn Tracbar and/or bad ball joints. After that the waters muddy. Make sure the Tracbar bolts are torqued to spec. Check to make sure the bushings are in good shape and the holes in the mounts are not out off round. I assume you have an aftermarket Tracbar but if not, given the stage of your build it's time anyway. Next, check for play in ball joints. You're "Jeeplab" so I'm betting you know how to do that. Of course if you still have the original factory ball joints it's likely time for an upgrade. The undeniable best bang-for-buck ballpoints are the synergy offerings...it's the only thing the whole internet agrees on.

If you don't find an obvious problem in one of those areas it may get harder to diagnose and isolate, but be assured, you do have a problem. It was not an isolated incident. It will happen again, and it will happen more frequently and more violently until you deal with it. If you wait, numerous occurrences will prematurely wear most every component in your front end.

Sorry bout it

Start with the ball joints. The factory ball joints come from the factory with lots of play and it doesn't take them long to go out.

Ok so im prepared to rip the front end apart.

Trackbar, Stabilizer, ball joints.

i think im going to get my hands on an oem stabilizer, (cheap) change that first. Then ball joints.... RK makes a steering kit, Ill look into that too and report back.

Almost killed myself. Time to Diagnose!

if im going around a turn on an off ramp amd on the brake a bit the esp comes on and the jeep gets very weird feeling . it pulses the esp. but if im off the brake it is normal.

describe your suspension situation. Anything loose? sway bars connected?

Check your ABS/ Wheel speed sensors. They may be going bad. I buried my Jeep to the frame in some mud a few weeks ago and both passenger wheels were completely packed with mud. Now my ESP kicks on after the Jeep sits for a bit and I get in to go some where. I've pulled both sensors to clean them but I'm going to just replace them. My ESP goes off by the time I leave the neighborhood. It's just a pain until I get that far.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteRavenRR View Post
    Check your ABS/ Wheel speed sensors. They may be going bad. I buried my Jeep to the frame in some mud a few weeks ago and both passenger wheels were completely packed with mud. Now my ESP kicks on after the Jeep sits for a bit and I get in to go some where. I've pulled both sensors to clean them but I'm going to just replace them. My ESP goes off by the time I leave the neighborhood. It's just a pain until I get that far.
    For others following this thread, this post is directed at 40inchDozer, not JL. Its referring the the esp trac lights he has in the turn.

As for the JL steering issues, we are going to change everything to make sure we get the culprit in one sitting. I do not want to change ball joints, put the truck back together and find that it was not the problem.

Drag link
    Tie rod
    stabilizer
    ball joints

whatever else I can unscrew and take off down there, its all going.