Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Honestly, this type of head unit is the future. Our current head units will look stone aged compared to these in even a matter of years. A customizable OS that allows you to install apps and allows your head unit to act and work in the way YOU want. An Android based head unit will probably be the most flexible of the bunch, so I imagine it will become the new standard and have the highest market share just like what has happened in the phone/tablet world. I'm sure Apple and Microsoft will try to compete in this space as well, but when Google Play has so many apps written, and Android has so much flexibility for manufacturers, I think it will be a losing battle for them. I'm sure they will wiggle their way in to become OEM head units (like Microsoft running Ford's crappy solution) but they will always lag behind. The true cutting edge will always be Android.

Think about what an Android OS in a head unit could do... It has a WiFi AP on it! You realize what you could do with that alone? You could now connect up standard 802.11 based wifi web cams to it, and then move them around your vehicle wherever you want! Put little suction cups on them to attach them, or maybe magnets to hook them to the undercarriage for that one time you need a camera in a certain spot underneath. As long as you can get power to the camera either via batteries or some type of 12v adapter, you could surround your vehicle with them. You could also give someone else a tablet in the car and have them connect to the wifi and then monitor different parts of the vehicle for you, or maybe tie in to the GPS if your back seat passengers wanted to have a map they could see and explore on their own. How about linking up Android units in different Jeeps while you're Jeeping, sharing GPS location so they show up on YOUR nav screen, complete with speed and magnetic heading, maybe even what THEIR engine temp and waste gate are doing (grin.)

Since it is running Android and has bluetooth, then a ton of bluetooth capable devices are going to come out. How about a bluetooth controlled front winch (if you're daring enough) or lighting control. Maybe AMP will add bluetooth to their powersteps brain so you can control the time delay of the powersteps or even just provide an indicator on the LCD if the steps are down or up.

Once vendors and manufacturers realize just what they've been given when someone has an Android powered head, with a WiFi AP and bluetooth, and probably NFC built in (plus ODB to the engines metrics) they are going to start to write more and more apps than we can imagine.

Very cool. Can't wait. Just need to buy one and then sell my 420N before everyone realizes what this will do and not want the 420N (or 720) any more and it becomes worthless.
    2014 Jeep JKU Sahara, Manual - /OlllllllO\ - 4" Metal Cloak lift, 37" Toyo Open Country's on 20" XD Bully Rims, 4.56 Yukon gears, Mopar High Top Fenders, ARB Front Bull Bar Bumper, ARB Rear Bumper, Teraflex HD Tire Carrier, Teraflex Tire Carrier Accessory Mount, Twin Rotopax mount, Hi-Lift Jack mounted on front bumper, Reverse LED work lights, Warn 9.5ti winch, Synergy Drag Link, Trackbar Relocation Bracket, AMP Power Steps, JK1001 Radio, SpiderShade.

Guess what there is an app for just about everything you have listed. I am purchasing a Wi-Fi backup camera to use with my phone, and it would work with this head unit without issue. There are what I refer to as social gps programs out there. I agree android based head units are the future in stereos.
    2013 Wrangler JKU - Rock Lobster Red, Smittybilt SRC rear bumper and side steps; RR drop in reusable air filter; Quadratec floor liners; 285/75-16 Falken Rockey Mountain ATSII, Rebel Offroad grab handles and fire extinguisher holder.