Close

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    So many supercharged jeeps on the road, what happens when this gets back into the SC?

wear?

Quote Originally Posted by Pznivy View Post
    Where does the caught oil go? does it drain back into the pan?
    You throw the caught oil away with your waste oil. I'm guessing the interval will be with each oil change for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoinkers View Post
    So many supercharged jeeps on the road, what happens when this gets back into the SC?

wear?
    The genesis of the PCV system we all have is concern for the environment. Crankcase gasses used to vent to the environment which put hydrocarbons in the atmosphere. The oil from the vapor used to drip down a tube to the road below. Modern systems are specifically designed to send the crankcase gasses and oil back through the engine to burn them and reduce direct emissions.

So to answer your question, yes - wear and deposits on sensitive compressor rotors, altered air/fuel charge, parties through the system. No matter what's in the PCV line we don't want it in our forced induction motors.

Im about to strip my SC to install the high alt pulley. Im going to take it apart and look inside. Will report back.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepLab View Post
    Im about to strip my SC to install the high alt pulley. Im going to take it apart and look inside. Will report back.
    I wouldn't open up a supercharger unless you need to open it to change the pulley. Disconnect your PCV tube from the supercharger and look inside. Is it dry? Mine isn't. After 10k miles I got a finger coated with oil from inside the tube. I'll pull my PCV tube and see if I can get a good pic of what it looks like.

Here's a good white paper on PCV oil separation.

http://www.conceptualpolymer.com/PCV...oval%20102.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Yoinkers View Post

wear?
    I found this in a fourm on supercharged mustangs.

One additional part I would like to mention here that is not required but certainly recommended by most is the oil separator. Depending on the brand you choose, this item will be important very early in the assembly process. An oil separator simply removes any oil from the PCV hose prior to entering the plenum. When the engine is under boost, the SC will actually suck oil through the PCV and draw it into the SC and then into intercooler (IC) itself. Over time, the oil clogs up the vents on the IC reducing its effectiveness…not to mention making a big mess inside the plenum, SC, and the IC. The two pics below show a clean IC vs. an oil-soaked IC.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	normal_Clean20IC.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	1169

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dirtyintercooler.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	1170

This is bad news bears. how do you take your intercooler apart to find out ? and then do you take the plenum apart?

what happens if oil was to get into the engine?

Quote Originally Posted by FLIPmeOVER View Post
    This is bad news bears. how do you take your intercooler apart to find out ? and then do you take the plenum apart?

what happens if oil was to get into the engine?
    Don't take your intercooler apart. I doubt any Magnuson S/C has been on the road long enough to foul the intercooler with oil. My project here is to jump ahead of that issue and improve air-fuel, vacuum and PCV in prep for a custom tune.

PCV is specifically designed TO introduce oil from crankcase gases into the engine and burn it to eliminate the emissions from the environment. It works fine for naturally aspirated engines. But we've added forced induction and larger injectors. We need to run 93 octane fuel at the high cylinder pressures that come with S/C or turbo boost. Why 93 octane? Because there isn't a higher octane out there. When under boost I am guessing that intake vacuum increases above stock. The increased vacuum likely exceeds the PCV system design and draws more oil than intended. The increased crankcase gasses and oil affect air-fuel mix and thus octane.

this would be a good video. Show the danger, then the correction.

Awsome thread. for a problem people dont know they have.

Is this issue just magnuson? or is it an inherent problem with all Superchargers. is the turbo immune?