Close

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Magnuson Supercharger Clean Up

does anybody know how to properly install a oil catch can

Quote Originally Posted by Pznivy View Post
    this would be a good video. Show the danger, then the correction.

Awsome thread. for a problem people dont know they have.

Is this issue just magnuson? or is it an inherent problem with all Superchargers. is the turbo immune?
    I will be posting my fabrication and install. I believe the issue applies to any motor with forced induction because the boost in manifold pressure increases PCV vacuum which increases crankcase vapor pickup.

Quote Originally Posted by 2k13jk View Post
    does anybody know how to properly install a oil catch can
    I'm no expert but will post my fab and install and advise on the choices I make on materials, mounting location, hardware, techniques and such. I hope to have lots of pics and get feedback from you all as I go. First step is to get my catch can which seems to have been misdelivered by USPS. I'm tracking it down. I have 1/2 in. stainless tubing and tools pulled together. I need the can and a few stainless compression fittings. I hope to start this weekend.

OK. My catch can arrived! Many thanks to BilletTechnology.com for overnight delivery of a replacement for the can that was lost in the mail. Great customer service!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	1205

Name:	photo 3.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	1206

Name:	photo hose.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	1207

I am planning on using hard lines rather than hoses. But the hoses come with the can no matter what and you can never have enough spare parts in the shop.

Here is the 1/2 O.D stainless steel tubing that I purchased from www.onlinemetalsupply.com.

Name:	photo pipe2.jpg 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	1209

Name:	photo pipe.jpg 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	1208

Next is out to the truck to pick a location for the can. Billet Technology doesn't make a kit specifically for the JK so I purchased their "fender mount" kit which has the swivel and bolt. I figure it will afford me the most options. Also, most catch cans are attached to the engine somewhere near the intake. It's OK to do this but there is a better practice. It is best to mount a catch can as far from heat as possible so that vapors will condense on the way to the can. If you put the can in a really hot location more oil may stay in the gasses. I know that the real difference in temperature under the hood is probably one degree or two but I'm going to try to be as picky as I can.

Here's a picture of the mounting option I chose.

Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	1210

It's really tight under the hood. So the best location I can find is to the left of the brake master cylinder. It's about as cool a location as I can expect. Looks like there's enough room to service the can.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo 2.jpg  

Yep. Looking good.

Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	1212

But . . . the horn is in the way so the horn will have to be relocated. Here are the factory horn mounting parts. I'll see if I can re-use them or reconfigure to get the horn out of the way.

Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	1213

Not much wire here.

Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	1214