Close

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    I didn't have time to plumb the PCV to the can. But I did have time to plumb the make-up air line. The make-up air runs from the CAI (in my case an AFE) to the driver's (left) side valve cover (in the very, very, very tightest spot imaginable). So I took out the plastic line and long hose and made a two piece stainless steel 1/2 inch O.D. line. I needed to make it in two pieces because I couldn't snake a single hard line into place.

Here's another picture of the tubing bender I used.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ridgid_600_series_tube_benders.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	1239

It makes bends like this, which happens to be one of the finished section of new line:

Name:	IMG_0252.jpg 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	1240

In this picture we are "beading" the end of the pipe to create the bump that holds hose with a clamp.

Name:	IMG_0251.jpg 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	1241

Here's a closer pic of the tube with beaded end:

Name:	IMG_0250.jpg 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	1242

Here are pics of the make-up air line installed:

Name:	IMG_0253.jpg 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	1243

Name:	IMG_0254.jpg 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	1244

Name:	IMG_0255.jpg 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	1245

But it's all good. . .

Oh, and I did make sure I can service the can where it is mounted:

Name:	IMG_0248.jpg 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	1246

Name:	photo.jpg 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	1247

I plan on getting back to the install of my catch can tomorrow (and hopefully finishing it). I may make a change to the system. I may eliminate the make-up air line I did last weekend. I ordered a K&N filter specifically designed to be used as a direct vent filter. If I go that route then I can eliminate all of the tubing between the CAI and the crankcase. The make-up air will go straight in to reduce any pressure differential between vacuum and make-up sides of the PCV system. We'll see. I'll test both set-ups and report back.

In the meantime I've also started to clean up other aspects of my S/C install and I'm pleased to report some positive results. First, I wanted to make sure that my gear ratio and spedo are programmed absolutely spot on. I never went back and checked after loading the tune that came from Magnuson. I asked and was told that there is no interaction between the new "tune" and the gear/tire values previously flashed into the PCM. Not wanting to leave any stone unturned, I got out my trusty ProCal from AEV and re-flashed my gears for 4.10 and re-flashed my tires. Turns out my prior tire parameter had my spedo off by about five mph. I called AEV and they told me that I have to physically measure my tire and not rely on converting the metric 317 70 R17 into a diameter. I measured, corrected and now my spedo is spot on. While I had my ProCal out I decided to try something, again just to try to eliminate all possible performance issues before shelling out for dyno tuning.

What I did was to un-marry and re-marry my accelerator to my PCM. To do this (and don't if you don't have to), I intentionally performed the joining sequence wrong, disconnected the ProCal and started the truck. As expected, no throttle response. Then I performed the sequence correctly and re-joined the accelerator to the PCM. Well, call me crazy, but the truck works better. Perhaps the re-joining cleared any adaptive settings in the PCM or I don't know but throttle response is different now. It's driving much more like you'd expect. When I press on the gas power kicks in and I don't have to bury my foot to the floor. Since I'm not pressing down so far I'm not downshifting so quickly. Much more enjoyable experience!

BTW - I can now report with confidence after re-calibrating and checking and checking again that I'm turning +/- 2.800 rpm at 80mph.

I got my oil catch can hooked up today i bought a vsm racing vented one form florida 80 bucks shipped install was cake you will be surprised how much oil the pentastar sucks thru the pcv

Quote Originally Posted by 2k13jk View Post
    I got my oil catch can hooked up today i bought a vsm racing vented one form florida 80 bucks shipped install was cake you will be surprised how much oil the pentastar sucks thru the pcv
    I'm not surprised at all! Can you post a pic? Is the VSM specific to Pentastar or Jeeps?

Magnuson Supercharger Clean Up

The one i bought is not vehicle or engine specific it was 80 bucks definately one of the more expensive catch cans. ill post pics once i get near my jeep again

Quote Originally Posted by 2k13jk View Post
    The one i bought is not vehicle or engine specific it was 80 bucks definately one of the more expensive catch cans. ill post pics once i get near my jeep again
    Awesome. Can't wait to see what you catch. I finished my install today.

I fabricated two new hard lines to take the pcv from the right side valve cover (very back of it) to the catch can and then from the can to the supercharger lnlet.

Name:	IMG_0263.jpg 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	1268

The above line goes from the motor to the catch can.

Name:	IMG_0260.jpg 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	1269

This one goes from the can to the supercharger