Close

Engo Windshield light upgrade: 20 Watt Cree LED with Floodlight Spotlight Combo

So I've been rocking my Engo 4" LED flood lights on the window for some time now, at least a couple of years. Great bargain for the money and hard to beat customer service. I got to thinking I'd like to try something new and worked with Joel to order up a set of his newer offering, the E2s.

These are my old lights:

Again - great lights. Low amp draw (2.25A @ 12v) and 2500 lumens of output. HUGE light - brighter than my headlamps.

The Engo Cree spot/flood combos are half the physical size (2 inches square). They draw 3A @12v and make 1600 lumens. The cool thing is that this setup combines 5 degree spot Cree LEDs and 10x60 degree flood Cree LEDs for what I hope is a solid lighting pattern. I will get less total light output and a smaller form factor, but hopefully a useful lighting pattern for off road use.

I found them well packed from Engo:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-09-15 17.23.23.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	1173

Great looking lights. No rough edges. Stainless screws. Well sealed components and seals.

Name:	2014-09-15 17.30.47.jpg 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	1174

Name:	2014-09-15 17.31.17.jpg 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	1175

Name:	2014-09-15 17.31.25.jpg 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	1176

The wiring tail on these is about 3 inches longer than on the 4" floods - a nice upgrade that gives you more wiggle room to route the lights.

Name:	2014-09-15 17.31.05.jpg 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	1177

The install was super easy as before. Engo supplies a very nice harness with the lights that has everything you would need in ample length to install as if it were your only accessory. My install was made much easier with the sPod. Plug and play. Engo uses top quality waterproof connectors as well. I don't think the connectors would ever be a problem as they have the automotive style sealed plugs similar to jeep oem.

Install was a breeze. These tilt up and down a bit less than the 4" flood but also have a lower profile, cleaner finish.

Name:	2014-09-15 18.45.58.jpg 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	1178

Name:	2014-09-15 18.46.15.jpg 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	1179

Name:	2014-09-15 18.52.23.jpg 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	1180

Name:	2014-09-15 18.53.03.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	1181

Clearance was tight with the passenger wiper, but it always is with the mounts I use. It still clears by a couple mm and its never been a problem. If it became a problem, I'd just make the hole a bit wider and move it a couple mm further out.

Name:	2014-09-15 18.52.45.jpg 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	1182

Its strange having smaller lights on the jeep after being used to seeing the large 4" floods on there for so long. I'll have to get her out on a clear night and try to get some pattern pictures to compare with some other lighting patterns we've seen. I also saw Engo is now offering these in a flush mount for mounting in-body or in-bumper. Very cool!

Those look tiny for some reason. Are they smaller than the 4" lights you took off?

They are much smaller. 75% less surface area but only 35% less light.

Quote Originally Posted by Snarf77 View Post
    They are much smaller. 75% less surface area but only 35% less light.
    This cannot be right, they make less light than the old ones? lumens?

Ive found engo's stuff to be excellent quality for the prices they charge. Chinese? Yes. Do I care? No.

These lights look good. I didnt see a price. What did they set you back snarf?

Quote Originally Posted by Pznivy View Post
    Ive found engo's stuff to be excellent quality for the prices they charge. Chinese? Yes. Do I care? No.

These lights look good. I didnt see a price. What did they set you back snarf?
    First thing, most all Cree LED lights for jeeps are made in China. Engo, yup. Rigid? Yupp. Some get assembled in the US, but they parts are all Chinese manufactured. A pair of these is $199ish.

Engo has several options for lights, in this style, and in my previous 4" style.

http://www.engousa.com/c/led-lights

Quote Originally Posted by JeepLab View Post
    This cannot be right, they make less light than the old ones? lumens?
    These give 400 lumen per LED and the old were 300 lumen per LED. The new use only 4 LEDs whereas the old used 9 leds. These are a much more compact lighting option, with less total lighting output.