Close

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gbaumann View Post
    You're correct. I spend most of my time on the highway (and mostly at or above 80 mph). My thought on going to 4.56 is because my auto trans is five speed. I would like all of my passing and acceleration at highway speed to be with a downshift to 4th gear. But to really "kick it in the guts" and push myself back in the seat I need to downshift to 3rd gear and let the motor spin up to 3,500 rpm and stand on it through 4,500 rpm and then either lift off the pedal to shift or use the auto-man to up-shift. I would hope that the lower gears would get the rpms up just enough to get have a bit more available power at the pedal in 4th gear.
    I have 4.88 gears and running 35's nitro trail grapplers on my 2012 jk. Spent last weekend running Moab and drove it there from home, approximately 190 miles away. On the trail the gearing was perfect as we were rock crawling Prichett canyon (serious stuff). On the highway I wish I had another gear.. Going to jump up to 37-38's especially since the supercharger is being installed in two weeks. My suggestion is to go with 37's.

FF

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarifast View Post
    I have 4.88 gears and running 35's nitro trail grapplers on my 2012 jk. Spent last weekend running Moab and drove it there from home, approximately 190 miles away. On the trail the gearing was perfect as we were rock crawling Prichett canyon (serious stuff). On the highway I wish I had another gear.. Going to jump up to 37-38's especially since the supercharger is being installed in two weeks. My suggestion is to go with 37's.

FF
    4.88 with 35s is a TON of gear. It was probably great in moab. But you will want to kill yourself in daily driving situations if traveling distance on highways.

Thats the whole thing with the north east. if you live here and want to really wheel, you have to be prepared to do 3 hours in the car. Knowing that you are overgeared and that 3 hours is going to be miserable with your truck spinning at 3k rpm to keep up with traffic, you will talk yourself out of wheeling all together. You need a blend of highway and offroad. Thats why the transfer case is a reason to get a rubi. You can maintain good off road gear, in 4LO but still have a livable truck on the highway.
    Last edited by JeepLab; 09-20-2014 at 09:21 PM.