Quote Originally Posted by Yoinkers View Post
X2. wind it out to the end.

I will say, the whole "lift to shift" thing with these power mods is a fairly awful problem for an expensive power upgrade.
Well. . . I don't mind winding her up now and again and I'm fully prepared to drop a hemi in if the 3.6L S/C blows up. But I don't want to sprint down that path. Remember that we're running open deck aluminum blocks with iron sleeves. The bottom end of the pentastar is by all accounts rock solid and built to take forced induction. The heads and the upper deck aren't. At least not in the Jeep version. They will accommodate forced induction but we need to be careful. Static compression ratio is, I think, 10.5:1. With 6 to 8 lbs of boost you can quickly get north of a 14.0:1 effective compression ratio. That's O-ring head gasket territory and closed deck block architecture land. Oh, and that kind of cylinder pressure would LOVE 100 octane fuel. When these motors are in route from Pentastar to Masarati where they are fitted with twin turbos they first stop off at Ferrari where the cast blocks are machined and they receive different heads. I've read that the cylinder walls are fortified and the sleeves are thickened which reduces displacement to 3.2L. I think some of this technology is rumored to be headed for a few Chrysler products in the future. I even heard that there could be turbocharged Pentastar RAM pickup truck. So what does all of this have to do with gearing?

I was originally attracted to the MAG SC because of the flat torque curve and how quickly it developed power in the RPM band. I want that power at lower RPMs to be transmitted to the road. As I push down on the accelerator I want to be pushed back in my seat. Not downshift two gears. At 65 mph I want to drop one gear and disappear! I would love to get the throttle open more in higher gears so the motor has to develop the power the SC is capable of producing. With my 4.10 gearing, 35s and an auto trans, I'm mostly using 3rd gear to find power. The trans will hold that gear and let me open the throttle so the SC can develop power. And it's quite awesome! I would like a little of that awesomness in 4th gear too. I was wondering if 4.56s would get me there. But from what I've read in this thread I don't think new gears are the answer. I think I have a good ratio and need better transmission control.