Close

Modded Rear bumpers and third brake lights

I'm curious to see how folks are managing their third brake lights when mounting up huge tires on the backs of their rides. I know a lot of companies, like LOD, offer extension kits for the stock light to be mounted up much higher. There are also more elegant solutions, and I've even seen where lights fit inside the two unused lug nuts. Well, here is my solution for Jesse's Girl. Do feel free to share yours.

Since I built and replaced the rear bumper with the LOD unit (still love it), I've never fully finished the third brake light. LOD offers a nice adapter to use the stock light above the 37" tire. BUt I had this extra center cap and thought I'd integrate a led trailer light into the factor wire that ran to the third brake light. Not a new idea, just not yet done by me with my rather odd aluminum caps. Just had to do a bit of machine work.

Stock cap powder'd:

Now I'm rolling legal and I have a cool, bright third brake light. It pops out and disconnects with two connectors if I have to change the spare. I 'm sure folks were thinking that already. Plus the whole shebang didn't cost me less than $10.

thats super cool.

X2 on the super cool!

x3 on supercool. did you ruin the center cap to put the brake light on it?

Quote Originally Posted by FLIPmeOVER View Post
    x3 on supercool. did you ruin the center cap to put the brake light on it?
    Well..I don't like to think I "ruined" it. But if you mean can it be used as a normal center cap now, then the answer is no. I had to drill out the center of the center cap to securely mount a brake light in the metal. Its in there affixed from the rear. If the light goes it can be replaced, but the cap is always going to have a big hole in it!

can we get a link to this light?

Quote Originally Posted by Rexx19 View Post
    can we get a link to this light?
    Absolutely. I got it on amazon. A single one is $7 including shipping.

http://amzn.com/B004HAFVLC

Here are 2 of them for $9.99 including shipping:

http://amzn.com/B00KE98FP4

I like this design. For the sake of changing it up, Im going to try to save the center cap and mount the light in between the spokes of the wheel. Love to fab a bracket!