Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Billet Technology Catch Can on RIPP Supercharger

You can find the thread on the Magnuson SC clean up by gbaumann, (thanks bud! great thread) The purpose is stopping oil vapor working its way back into the Supercharger through the breather tube.

Im going to follow suit and mount one on a RIPP SC and see if we catch some oil in it.

I talked to Vortech about this specific issue, and the guy I talked to, really did not take the issue seriously. He told me if there was oil working its way back into the Vortech supercharger, then I must have had an oil leak. Obviously, a person who either didnt want to confirm that this could happen, OR just someone how didn't know what I was talking about.

Whatever. Doesn't matter to me. Im going to investigate and correct as best I can.

I heard a rumor that RIPP is aware of the possibility of this issue and they have a plan to offer their own catch can option. If anyone would sniff this out it would be Ross from RIPP. (all unconfirmed)

What im about to do is independent of instruction from RIPP. I'm just following gbaumann as think the issue he presents is one that may be universal to Superchargers. And for the $150 that the billet technology catch can costs, its stupid not to use one to protect your power mod investment.

Now to figure out where to mount it.

Here are some shots.

Billet technology sent me all their mounts so we can work out some different mounting options.

Here is a shot of the can itself

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Billet Technology Catch Can (10).jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	1325

Name:	Billet Technology Catch Can (11).jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	1326

Mounts!

Name:	Billet Technology Catch Can (2).jpg 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	1327

Name:	Billet Technology Catch Can (1).jpg 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	1328

Name:	Billet Technology Catch Can (9).jpg 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	1329

Name:	Billet Technology Catch Can (5).jpg 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	1330

Quote Originally Posted by JeepLab View Post
    You can find the thread on the Magnuson SC clean up by gbaumann, (thanks bud! great thread) The purpose is stopping oil vapor working its way back into the Supercharger through the breather tube.

Im going to follow suit and mount one on a RIPP SC and see if we catch some oil in it.

I talked to Vortech about this specific issue, and the guy I talked to, really did not take the issue seriously. He told me if there was oil working its way back into the Vortech supercharger, then I must have had an oil leak. Obviously, a person who either didnt want to confirm that this could happen, OR just someone how didn't know what I was talking about.

Whatever. Doesn't matter to me. Im going to investigate and correct as best I can.

I heard a rumor that RIPP is aware of the possibility of this issue and they have a plan to offer their own catch can option. If anyone would sniff this out it would be Ross from RIPP. (all unconfirmed)

What im about to do is independent of instruction from RIPP. I'm just following gbaumann as think the issue he presents is one that may be universal to Superchargers. And for the $150 that the billet technology catch can costs, its stupid not to use one to protect your power mod investment.

Now to figure out where to mount it.
    Let me know if I can offer any help or a second pair of hands.

Quote Originally Posted by gbaumann View Post
    Let me know if I can offer any help or a second pair of hands.
    You sir, are invited!

you can just mount where gbaumann mounted right?

Billet tech also makes a mount that sticks to the fuse box i think.

Quote Originally Posted by FLIPmeOVER View Post
    you can just mount where gbaumann mounted right?

Billet tech also makes a mount that sticks to the fuse box i think.
    g baumann moved the horn to place it. I'd like to see JL find a more simple location. We are watching you JL!

Quote Originally Posted by Pznivy View Post
    g baumann moved the horn to place it. I'd like to see JL find a more simple location. We are watching you JL!
    I did find a more simple location. Its also SC specific. gbaumann's location works for the MAG. I was looking for something to sit in the void area right in front of the intake on the RIPP. With the RIPP kit you change a reservoir that sits right there to something smaller. It leaves space for the can.

It really might have been the easiest fab work of my career.

There is a bolt right there that holds the bracket to the fuse box. It sits kinda in a plastic cup. So i dremeled out a notch for the billet technology's Z bracket and sat it right in. Super easy.

Name:	Billet Technology z Bracket .jpg 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	1342

Name:	Billet Technology Z Bracket 2.jpg 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	1343

Name:	Billet Technology z bracket 3.jpg 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	1344

Name:	Dremel 8220.jpg 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	1345
    Last edited by JeepLab; 10-17-2014 at 03:20 PM.

This is a great shot of the notch I cut with the dremel.

I wanted the bracket to stick out at a specific angle. this notch being cut carefully made it so that I didn't have to make the bolt hold the bracket straight with clamping pressure. It sits in the notch, and points right were I want it.

Name:	Z bracket Notch.jpg 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	1346

Here is a shot of the whole set up. With the can installed.

Name:	Billet Technology Catch Can Z Bracket RIPP Supercharger.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	1347

It all fits perfectly, and there is no play in the bracket. I can get my hand under there and unscrew the can, but I think that I would opt to unscrew the bracket from the fender entirely and lift it out for easy access to the can. Its one bolt.