Quote Originally Posted by UselessPickles View Post
Ideally, you would have a dual catch-can setup: one for the PCV hose and one for the vent hose to the air filter.

The ventilation hose usually only flows from the air filter into the crankcase to allow fresh air to replace the oily air that was sucked through the PCV hose. But under high engine load conditions, there's enough piston ring blow-by to slightly pressurize the crankcase, causing oily air to flow backward through the vent hose, into the intake.

On a boosted engine, you get a lot more blow-by than an NA engine. I would even say that it's probably more important to have a catch can on the vent hose, because oily air will be coming through that hose during situations where it's most critical to avoid pre-ignition/detonation.

With the Prodigy turbo, the vent hose is just vented to atmosphere with a small filter (Prodigy did this to avoid oily air on boost, allowing for more/safer power). After some full throttle, I can smell oil. I'd actually like to eventually run the vent through a catch can and back into the air filter to avoid the oily smell after hard acceleration.
Does the turbo need a catch can also? Is this a pentastar problem? did the SC people not know this would happen? seems like something that a mechanic would anticipate.