Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepLab View Post
    Here is a shot of the whole set up. With the can installed.

Attachment 1347
    You gonna cut that hose to the SC and put it on the can?

The catch can attaches to the pcv hose notnto the hose from the air filter

Quote Originally Posted by 2k13jk View Post
    AHHHH beat me to it. I'll post some pics of the hose when I get it mounted.

It fits so well in that spot you would think you just clip the air filter hose

Quote Originally Posted by 2k13jk View Post
    Ideally, you would have a dual catch-can setup: one for the PCV hose and one for the vent hose to the air filter.

The ventilation hose usually only flows from the air filter into the crankcase to allow fresh air to replace the oily air that was sucked through the PCV hose. But under high engine load conditions, there's enough piston ring blow-by to slightly pressurize the crankcase, causing oily air to flow backward through the vent hose, into the intake.

On a boosted engine, you get a lot more blow-by than an NA engine. I would even say that it's probably more important to have a catch can on the vent hose, because oily air will be coming through that hose during situations where it's most critical to avoid pre-ignition/detonation.

With the Prodigy turbo, the vent hose is just vented to atmosphere with a small filter (Prodigy did this to avoid oily air on boost, allowing for more/safer power). After some full throttle, I can smell oil. I'd actually like to eventually run the vent through a catch can and back into the air filter to avoid the oily smell after hard acceleration.

Quote Originally Posted by UselessPickles View Post
    Ideally, you would have a dual catch-can setup: one for the PCV hose and one for the vent hose to the air filter.

The ventilation hose usually only flows from the air filter into the crankcase to allow fresh air to replace the oily air that was sucked through the PCV hose. But under high engine load conditions, there's enough piston ring blow-by to slightly pressurize the crankcase, causing oily air to flow backward through the vent hose, into the intake.

On a boosted engine, you get a lot more blow-by than an NA engine. I would even say that it's probably more important to have a catch can on the vent hose, because oily air will be coming through that hose during situations where it's most critical to avoid pre-ignition/detonation.

With the Prodigy turbo, the vent hose is just vented to atmosphere with a small filter (Prodigy did this to avoid oily air on boost, allowing for more/safer power). After some full throttle, I can smell oil. I'd actually like to eventually run the vent through a catch can and back into the air filter to avoid the oily smell after hard acceleration.
    Does the turbo need a catch can also? Is this a pentastar problem? did the SC people not know this would happen? seems like something that a mechanic would anticipate.

Depends on your definition of "need".

I don't think any of the kits *need* a catch. The kits come tuned to account for the effective reduction in octane of the fuel due to oil vapors from the PCV system. Using catch cans removes oil from the air, which can allow for more aggressive tuning.

This is not unique to the Pentastar. All engines with PCV systems (essentially all modern engines) suck oil vapors from the crankcase into the intake. It's normal.

I don't think any of the kits *need* a catch. The kits come tuned to account for the effective reduction in octane of the fuel due to oil vapors from the PCV system. Using catch cans removes oil from the air, which can allow for more aggressive tuning.

This is not unique to the Pentastar. All engines with PCV systems (essentially all modern engines) suck oil vapors from the crankcase into the intake. It's normal.
    X2 Pickles. Catch can is step one in dialing in the motor. I got an AME Failsafe A/F gauge and wideband O2 sensor. Installing in a couple of weeks. Then on the dyno for a couple of days to tune the motor. Not for aggressiveness. Tuning to smooth it out and put the power where I want it.

When I say "Need" its because I suspedt when JL opens their SC, there is going to be actual liquid oil inside. That MUST add to SC wear. Also someone posted the pic of the mustang's intercooler full of oil. That has to reduce its effectivness.

What happens if you put 100k on a blown engine sucking liquid oil thru the system?

I might be insane, but it seems that the truck instantly drove better once the can was installed. gbaumann, am i nuts? did you like your SC better once the can was installed?

Quote Originally Posted by JeepLab View Post
    I might be insane, but it seems that the truck instantly drove better once the can was installed. gbaumann, am i nuts? did you like your SC better once the can was installed?
    You're not nuts at all! When the can is working you're getting more reliable air-fuel across different driving conditions. Also the catch can can "throttle" the pcv vacuum and regulate intake behavior (not an intended consequence but we'll take it!). You want to hear nuts? I've convinced myself that certain gas stations have better gas than others. I now believe that all 93 octane is not the same.