Close

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by FLIPmeOVER View Post
    So the pentastar was born in a maserati?
    No. Maserati uses a Pentastar block and lower end. Pentastar was born out of the Daimler-Chrysler merger that has since been undone.

Quote Originally Posted by UselessPickles View Post
    I think you're trying to extract more detail than can be properly represented in a slightly out-of-focus photo of a used, stripped down and cleaned up engine block, with compression artifacts from facebook's resizing and higher-than-original JPEG compression. Looking back at the highest resolution image that facebook will display, most of what you circled just looks like smudges/residue from gasket material or other contaminants that found their way onto the metal either from use or from disassembly.

The only section that looks like it is chamfered is the left-most edge in the left-most circle. That is just part of the water jacket around the cylinder, and would have no impact on quality of seal between the cylinder and head gasket.
    I think you're right Pickles. Most if the gunk follows the head gasket.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	200716-lg.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	1440

And it looks like the mechanic cleaned the deck with a heavy hand. My concern, ultimately, is my inability to have confidence in the power plant. When i'm into boost at WOT up around 5500 rpm and higher i can't escape the thought that something is going to break any second. And unlike the manual trans guys I don't get boost until i'm in that range b/c the pcm forces downshifts all the way to second gear regardless of speed. So i'm screaming at WOT when the supercharger bypass closes.

Seriously, when all the parts are in for my hemi swap i'm going to drive with my supercharger and not intervene by lifting my foot and cutting boost. I'll do that for a few thousand miles and donate the motor to the "lab" for a teardown and inspection.

Boost at higher rpms is actually safer than boost at low rpms. With my manual transmission, I intentionally downshift to get into higher rpms and put the throttle down to the floor all the way to 6500 rpm. I've been doing that a couple times a day for the past 6 months and ~6,000 miles, including two very abusive weekends on the sand dunes. Staying in a higher gear, lower rpms, and trying to accelerate hard would both be more strenuous on the engine, and be less effective at accomplishing the goal of accelerating quickly.

Quit worrying, put the pedal to the floor, keep it there, and enjoy

I received my Sprintex supercharger Tuesday evening and will install this weekend. The kit looks good and very complete. I went ahead and did a couple of preparatory tasks to get ready. I labeled all of the misc. formed hoses, so I wouldn't have to dig through them during the install. I also trimmed the hood insulation and repositioned the auto transmission dipstick as indicated in the instructions. The last thing, and most significant, is that I connected the Diablosport Intune that is supplied with the kit to calibrate the ecm.... I'm glad I did. There was an issue with the tune not being "calibrated" to my ecm. I have a newer 2014, so the code wasn't updated yet to account for the new ecm calibration. However, Gary with Sprintex and Mike with Diablosport were quick to address the situation and everything appears good at this point. Mike was especially helpful and very responsive. So far, so good...

I plan to take some pictures along the way and I'll post my thoughts when I'm done. I'm pretty excited. More to follow...

Quote Originally Posted by gbaumann View Post
    Seriously, when all the parts are in for my hemi swap i'm going to drive with my supercharger and not intervene by lifting my foot and cutting boost. I'll do that for a few thousand miles and donate the motor to the "lab" for a teardown and inspection.
    ^^That would be an AWESOME thread.

I would have to say tho, Ive pounded on the pentastar a LOT. I think it may surprise you when you try to blow it up.

PS. give me the when and where on the hemi. I want to come see that. Or we could go completely nuts and put a supercharged LS7 in it.. How deep are your pockets?

Quote Originally Posted by rgeorge33 View Post
    I received my Sprintex supercharger Tuesday evening and will install this weekend. The kit looks good and very complete. I went ahead and did a couple of preparatory tasks to get ready. I labeled all of the misc. formed hoses, so I wouldn't have to dig through them during the install. I also trimmed the hood insulation and repositioned the auto transmission dipstick as indicated in the instructions. The last thing, and most significant, is that I connected the Diablosport Intune that is supplied with the kit to calibrate the ecm.... I'm glad I did. There was an issue with the tune not being "calibrated" to my ecm. I have a newer 2014, so the code wasn't updated yet to account for the new ecm calibration. However, Gary with Sprintex and Mike with Diablosport were quick to address the situation and everything appears good at this point. Mike was especially helpful and very responsive. So far, so good...

I plan to take some pictures along the way and I'll post my thoughts when I'm done. I'm pretty excited. More to follow...
    PICS MAN! pics of everything! If you have a cat, we want a pic of MR. Wiskers sitting on the SC box! PICS! AAAARRRGHH!

Very cool. I am interested in the auto shifting and dropping out of OD on little hills.

And I am interested in seeing Mr. Whiskers.

Can't forget the boss
    Mod, ORE Magnum 44 sleeves and welded C's, RCVshafts, 4.56 gears, Riddler diff covers, JEReel 1350 driveshafts, Evap relocation kit, AEV rear diff skid, JPI transfer case skid, ORE oil pan armor, Advanced Adapters shift cable, RK 3.5 lift with King 2.5 res shocks with adjusters, MB Black Razor 17-8.5 wheels with 37 MTRK's, poison Spyder brawler sliders, in powder coat, PSC front with a Warn Zeon Platinum and PSC BFH rear bumper.PSC Tire carrier. Oh yeah a Cobra75 to squak on.

Quote Originally Posted by FieryRobot View Post
    And I am interested in seeing Mr. Whiskers.
    X3 on Mr. Wiskers. And that Supercharger.