Close

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    ****MODERATED****

gbaumann's post was here a minute ago, It was about his Mag supercharger and his plan for a hemi swap. Its a good topic but too far off sprintex, so I "New Threaded" it. Its now "SuperCharger to HEMI transition"

http://jeeplab.com/showthread.php?21...EMI-Transition

Sprintex Install

Here's an account of the install and some pictures, which are apparently a hard requirement for this Forum.

I started Friday evening and finished up Saturday evening. I did take several breaks though... Everything came apart pretty easily. The only annoyance I encountered was when draining the cooling system. There's a point to attach a hose to drain neatly, but all of the coolant seemed to just poor out of the valve, rather than the drain. Oh well, I did capture some in the bucket, but there was a lot on the floor.

I had everything removed and ready to begin install when I quit Friday night. Installing the Sprintex unit was a pretty tedious task. Most of it went smoothly. There are some bolts on the back side that are a bear to get to though. I put the Supercharger on mid morning Saturday and had the install complete by around 6. Now for the bad news. After starting the engine with the stock tune just to check belt alignment and top off coolant. It idled smoothly, but of course it threw a few codes. Again... It was the stock tune, so I expected that. After that I plugged in the Diablosport tuner and it went through the process of backing up the original tune and writing the Sprintex tune.

Unfortunately that's where the events took a downturn. After writing the new tune, my Jeep won't start at all. I've emailed Mike with Diablosport and Gary with Sprintex. I got a very prompt, but short, reply from Mike today asking me for more information. I messaged him back around noon, but I'm sure I won't hear back from him again until the beginning of the week. I don't expect him to work on a Sunday. Oh well, I rented a fancy little Hyundai Accent to drive this week until the Jeep is sorted. Now for pictures...

The new parts in the box.

Everything removed and ready for the install.

New heater hoses installed and routed around the driver's side. The intercooler hoses go to the passenger side, so space is limited over there. It makes sense that they changed the routing.

Intake studs installed and wiring adjusted so the harness will be behind the supercharger.

The bottom side of the assembly. It's made of metal, whereas the upper is made of the same composite that the stock manifold is made of. The blower is obviously metal, as well.

The bottom of the blower and intercooler. (Upper manifold assembly)

The lower assembly installed.

The upper assembly installed. Tightening the fasteners on the backside removed much of the soft tissue from my knuckles...

The front support bracket with pulleys in place.

The cooler attached and plumbed.

The completed install.

The cooler is very close to the grill, but it all fits.

And now... The part you've all waited for... Mr. Whiskers, or in this case, Magnus the bulldog.

The fact that they are in Australia is a negative. The turn times on the tunes can be a problem. My first Diablo tuner was bad. Because of the time difference it took longer than expected to get my first tune installed. Everything went to Hell on a Thursday and wasn't fixed until Monday. Luckily, I was on a trip and the dealer had a bay tied up, I didn't miss any additional jeep time. Once you finially get the tune installed you will be amazed at the difference. I did get a subsequent tune within 12 hours after I changed my exhaust. That was mid week though.

im sorry if this was mentioned, i missed it if it was.

does the intake obstruct the oil filter?

Quote Originally Posted by JeepLab View Post
    im sorry if this was mentioned, i missed it if it was.

does the intake obstruct the oil filter?
    You would not have to take the intake tube (between the air box and throttle body) off, but it would certainly be easier. I have to change my oil in a few hundred miles, so I'll let you know with certainty at that point. Even if I have to take the intake tube off, it's only two clamps and a harness for the IAT sensor.

Any word on your tune woes?

Quote Originally Posted by FieryRobot View Post
    Any word on your tune woes?
    Nope... I'm getting pretty frustrated. Up to this point, it's been all diagnostic. There has been plenty of email back and forth, but nothing of consequence. We found that the MAP sensor that came with the kit was not working correctly, but it is still idling (barely idling... more like laughing and hacking) pig rich. It won't go into gear without dying. I'm giving it another week or so, then I'm going to take it back to stock, try to get a refund, and get a V8 thrown in this thing...

Quote Originally Posted by rgeorge33 View Post
    Nope... I'm getting pretty frustrated. Up to this point, it's been all diagnostic. There has been plenty of email back and forth, but nothing of consequence. We found that the MAP sensor that came with the kit was not working correctly, but it is still idling (barely idling... more like laughing and hacking) pig rich. It won't go into gear without dying. I'm giving it another week or so, then I'm going to take it back to stock, try to get a refund, and get a V8 thrown in this thing...
    That is the worst news! nothing more terrible than getting all invasive with your truck and then the build doesn't pan out. I hope they can fix it. Do not tear it off until you are completely sure that its dead and buried. I don't have an SC but the others in this forum do like theirs, although there is a lot of talk about fine tuning.

This SC is soo new, you are one of the first. hang in there.

Sprintex 3.6 pentastar install

If it makes you feel better i had a bad map sensor from ripp they overnited me a new one and it started right up once i installed the new one

I can only assume (and it's only that—an assumption) that many others have installed this setup successfully, which gives me some hope that there's just a simple error someplace and once corrected everything will just fall into place.

At least that's what I'll keep telling myself for now, because I was very much counting on this being the setup for me...