Close

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    It seems like some people have no problem with the ripp and a few do. I think it is maybe the lift,weight, tires,gears combination that is a problem. The Jeep Canbus system is a total booger and the trans computer is diabolical. I am not sure what the answer is other than I was some sort of boost on my jeep. And right now I am just not sure who I want. The Ripp has the best track record overall in the industry and they use the Vortec head unit which is pretty solid. The Maggie and Edelbrock use the TVS1320 blower from Eaton which is a good unit. I would love to see the boost curves from all these units laid into one graph.

Are you running an automatic or manual

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    It seems like some people have no problem with the ripp and a few do. I think it is maybe the lift,weight, tires,gears combination that is a problem. The Jeep Canbus system is a total booger and the trans computer is diabolical. I am not sure what the answer is other than I was some sort of boost on my jeep. And right now I am just not sure who I want. The Ripp has the best track record overall in the industry and they use the Vortec head unit which is pretty solid. The Maggie and Edelbrock use the TVS1320 blower from Eaton which is a good unit. I would love to see the boost curves from all these units laid into one graph.
    Can anyone confirm that they have a AUTO RIPP unit and do not have to lift to shift?

I have an auto.. Ross said that Ripps boss has an auto and that it shifts fine. I am going to look to see just how many I can find that are autos and doing good.

I didn't want to hijack the sprintec thread so I am going to post in the ripp one.

Thanks for this thread... Because of the positive information regarding the tune and drivability with the Sprintex 3.6 unit, I bought one today. I have a 2014 unlimited rubicon with an auto, so I'll be sure to follow-up with how well everything works. I'm pretty excited. I strongly considered a Motech V8 installation, but the price of the Sprintex made it a course of action worth exploring.

Speaking of the Ripp, I've read up on it and for a light weight sports car that lives in the upper RPM range, I think centrifugal superchargers are great. However, in a big, heavy SUV, I think the twin screw roots type blowers have a definite advantage. The off-idle power was a huge consideration for me. The peak power figures for the Ripp are very impressive, but not practical for my driving style.

Sprintex 3.6 pentastar install

But remember an engine with a roots style blower like magnuson forcing boost in the engine at that low rpm it cant go anywere forcing more stress on the engine

Quote Originally Posted by rgeorge33 View Post
    Thanks for this thread... Because of the positive information regarding the tune and drivability with the Sprintex 3.6 unit, I bought one today. I have a 2014 unlimited rubicon with an auto, so I'll be sure to follow-up with how well everything works. I'm pretty excited. I strongly considered a Motech V8 installation, but the price of the Sprintex made it a course of action worth exploring.
    has anyone actually installed and tested this thing? Do they guarantee that there will be no "lift to shift" problem? I mean really publicly guarantee it?

rgeorge33, please keep us informed about whats really going on. keep in mind, you are a poineer of this unit.

I was going off the original poster's comments. I don't think Sprintex has made any guarantees about the shifting. I'll report what I find, but I think the original poster's comments are very encouraging. My primary concern is the drivability on a normal basis. However, I'll let you know about the shift behavior once I get it installed and properly tuned.

Keep in mind that the lift-to-shift issue (at least in RIPPs case) is only during "heavy acceleration". I know I don't do too much of that, and honestly, the stock tuning has this issue at times.

Quote Originally Posted by 2k13jk View Post
    But remember an engine with a roots style blower like magnuson forcing boost in the engine at that low rpm it cant go anywere forcing more stress on the engine
    I haven't heard of any durability problems with the pentastar yet. However, I certainly understand what you're saying. From some of the articles I've read from around the time the pentastar was released (2012), it seems that the motor was engineered to be reliable under forced induction situations. I guess I'll find out... Possibly the hard way.