Close

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    And if yours goes well, rgeorge33, I may also bite the bullet on this.

I never have to lift the accelerator. Sometimes if I want to shift a little earlier I just tap the Shifter. For the most part it shifts where I want it too. I don't go blast all the time. When I do the mileage drops to 12. I have more than enough power with light throttle to get going and I never worry about a merge.

The only draw back is that it's doesn't like the cold. I let the engine warm up now until the idle comes down and I don't have any problems with surging or misfires like I did when I just started it and went.

I had the jeep dealer install it for me since I sold my house and didn't have a garage. The install plus the actual purchase price was still less than the RIPP. I made the right decision.

Cool. Yeah, I just want to be able to do simple things, like, you know, merge onto the highway and pass people without yelling "GO!". And I tow a trailer about once a month, so this will help there. I just am concerned about transmission temps during towing with a SC, so I'm getting some gauges to see what my temps are now vs. later.

I believe chrysler maybe listening to you Timmy. http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/fuel-...nge/ar-BBgw3gQ
    2013 Wrangler JKU - Rock Lobster Red, Smittybilt SRC rear bumper and side steps; RR drop in reusable air filter; Quadratec floor liners; 285/75-16 Falken Rockey Mountain ATSII, Rebel Offroad grab handles and fire extinguisher holder.

Quote Originally Posted by ljvsnyder View Post
    I believe chrysler maybe listening to you Timmy. http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/fuel-...nge/ar-BBgw3gQ
    This makes me happy! And it makes me MAD! Seriously, two products, only two products in the next year or two will have forced induction? AND, the WORST part!!! One of them will be a flippin Mini-VAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh please... I swear, if my Wrangler gets smoked by a front wheel drive, factory installed turbo mini-van, I'm bound to run over them when I finally catch them.

Is this not typical Chrysler. I can just see the conversation with the marketing team.

CEO: "We're thinking of dropping a turbo on to our Pentastar line of engines, do you have a vehicle model in particular you'd like us to focus on that you feel will really get the market buzzing, establish who we are as Chrysler?"

Marketing: "Well, I think we could make some really funny commercials about a mini-van out-running other vehicles between stop lights to the soccer fields!"

CEO: "Oh, I like that, that would be funny, the industry is going to go nuts over this, great idea, let's drop it in a van... Pay raises for you all!!! Nice job team."

Blahk! Yucky, yucky, yucky decision... Why don't they just recommend that Ferrari build a mini-van then...
    2014 Jeep JKU Sahara, Manual - /OlllllllO\ - 4" Metal Cloak lift, 37" Toyo Open Country's on 20" XD Bully Rims, 4.56 Yukon gears, Mopar High Top Fenders, ARB Front Bull Bar Bumper, ARB Rear Bumper, Teraflex HD Tire Carrier, Teraflex Tire Carrier Accessory Mount, Twin Rotopax mount, Hi-Lift Jack mounted on front bumper, Reverse LED work lights, Warn 9.5ti winch, Synergy Drag Link, Trackbar Relocation Bracket, AMP Power Steps, JK1001 Radio, SpiderShade.

But look at this way Timmy, retrofitting that turbo charged minivan engine into your JK won't be that difficult. And since these minivans will be driven by women, I am sure you will be able to pick up an engine at the junk yard after she flips it swerving to miss that squirrel.

In all seriousness, I read it that they are looking at something along the lines of an ecoboost engine setup for the pentestar engines.
    2013 Wrangler JKU - Rock Lobster Red, Smittybilt SRC rear bumper and side steps; RR drop in reusable air filter; Quadratec floor liners; 285/75-16 Falken Rockey Mountain ATSII, Rebel Offroad grab handles and fire extinguisher holder.

Here's your first opportunity. A wrecked Maserati 3.0L. If you look hard you can see the pentastar in there. Notice how Ferrari changed the heads to include real exhaust manifolds. Look how they tucked the trubos in there. This would easily fit in a jeep.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_57 (1).jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	1435

Name:	$_57.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	1436

Name:	$_57 (3).jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	1437

Now look at the two blocks below. First is 3.2 by pentastar rumored to be receiving Chrysler forced induction. Notice how nicely cast and machined the decks are and how much cylinder wall is between the cylinders. Next is the block posted by Prodigy on their facebook page. WTF is going on here? Where's the QA/QC? IMHO cylinder #2 is not up for forced induction. The contact surface and gasket area is reduced by poor looking casting and finishing. Too much chamfering to clean up the casting. Just a guess but I'd like to believe that if the second block came out of casting at Ferrari it would have gone back to the furnace.

Name:	32-pentastar.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	1438

Name:	10392592_737339649693004_911991194382080673_n.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	1439

I bet the turbo pentastar in the minivan will be a 3.2 with a small turbo, setup for low rpm spooling and a flat torque curve that is close to the performance level of the N/A 3.6, but with better fuel economy.

But OEM turbo systems use electronically-controlled wastegates, so that that means it will be easy for a custom tune to increase boost and get a big increase in low/mid-rpm torque. With small OEM turbos, the turbo starts choking at higher rpms when you try increasing boost, so that's why custom tunes on OEM turbo engines generally only give big gains at low/mid rpms.

I think you're trying to extract more detail than can be properly represented in a slightly out-of-focus photo of a used, stripped down and cleaned up engine block, with compression artifacts from facebook's resizing and higher-than-original JPEG compression. Looking back at the highest resolution image that facebook will display, most of what you circled just looks like smudges/residue from gasket material or other contaminants that found their way onto the metal either from use or from disassembly.

The only section that looks like it is chamfered is the left-most edge in the left-most circle. That is just part of the water jacket around the cylinder, and would have no impact on quality of seal between the cylinder and head gasket.

Quote Originally Posted by UselessPickles View Post
    I think you're trying to extract more detail than can be properly represented in a slightly out-of-focus photo of a used, stripped down and cleaned up engine block, with compression artifacts from facebook's resizing and higher-than-original JPEG compression. Looking back at the highest resolution image that facebook will display, most of what you circled just looks like smudges/residue from gasket material or other contaminants that found their way onto the metal either from use or from disassembly.

The only section that looks like it is chamfered is the left-most edge in the left-most circle. That is just part of the water jacket around the cylinder, and would have no impact on quality of seal between the cylinder and head gasket.
    I think you're right Pickles. Most if the gunk follows the head gasket.

Name:	200716-lg.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	1440

And it looks like the mechanic cleaned the deck with a heavy hand. My concern, ultimately, is my inability to have confidence in the power plant. When i'm into boost at WOT up around 5500 rpm and higher i can't escape the thought that something is going to break any second. And unlike the manual trans guys I don't get boost until i'm in that range b/c the pcm forces downshifts all the way to second gear regardless of speed. So i'm screaming at WOT when the supercharger bypass closes.

Seriously, when all the parts are in for my hemi swap i'm going to drive with my supercharger and not intervene by lifting my foot and cutting boost. I'll do that for a few thousand miles and donate the motor to the "lab" for a teardown and inspection.