Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

RIPP Supercharger gets... RIPPED APART!

Did the title grab you? Its tense over here. LOL.

Nothing is wrong with the SC, but in this project, im going to dismantle the RIPP unit, clean it out, and change its pulley to the high alt.

Im about half way thru as of this moment. Here's how it all went down.

I was going to install JW speaker headlights, and I just installed the Billet Technology catch can (which I LOVE).

I saw how much oil the can grabbed, in the last 2 weeks since I installed it. It was about a table spoon, more than I expected as it wasnt even a full tank of gas I went thru in that time. I knew oil was working its way thru the system, but had no idea how much.

So since I had the nose ripped apart for the headlights, I decided to go a step further and take the Supercharger out and clean it.
    Last edited by JeepLab; 11-08-2014 at 08:40 PM.

PICS!

Here is the nose stripped. Ready to get in there and learn. This is the only power mod JeepLab has, that we didnt install. RIPP installed it, so I havent really played with the components. No time like the present.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RIPP SC Clean up (4).jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	1395

Im intimidated by the SC crammed in the engine bay. I start with the intercooler.

Name:	RIPP SC Clean up (3).jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	1397

The first pipe I get disconnected is the one on the intake side of the intercooler. This is what I found. Oil. past even the intercooler.

Name:	RIPP PIPE OIL.jpg 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	1396

This is the SC side pipe of the intercooler.

Name:	RIPP SC Clean Up 2 (5).jpg 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	1398
    Last edited by JeepLab; 11-08-2014 at 08:00 PM.

I would call ripp and ask them i had my pipes apart 2 weeks ago and i had a catch can put in for 2 months now and i had no oil in my pipes. The only things i can see is your hose into the air filter is getting blow by into or your s/c seals are leaking which would we red oil not black

The Intercooler -

I took the intercooler out and stood it up in a home depot bucket. I wanted to see how much oil seeps out. I left it there for maybe 40 min. I got maybe a few teaspoons of oil.

Name:	RIPP SC Clean Up 2 (4).jpg 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	1400

Name:	RIPP SC Clean Up 2 (1).jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	1399

Clean out is really easy. I sealed one side of the intercooler with a trash bag and a pipe clamp, and poured in some gasoline. Shook it up, let the gas get in all the corners, and poured it out. Came out black the first time.

Name:	RIPP SC Clean Up 2 (8).jpg 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	1401

Name:	RIPP SC Clean Up 2 (7).jpg 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	1402

I did it about 3 more times, the last two looked like clean gas on the way out.

Quote Originally Posted by 2k13jk View Post
    I would call ripp and ask them i had my pipes apart 2 weeks ago and i had a catch can put in for 2 months now and i had no oil in my pipes. The only things i can see is your hose into the air filter is getting blow by into or your s/c seals are leaking which would we red oil not black
    This oil is definitely black. I emptied the SC oil (red) into a cup. When I put in the new oil ill measure it to see how much i get out. Keep in mind, My SC was the first non-ripp owned ever on a pentastar JK, its a prototype.

I dont think anything is wrong with the system. Vortech dosent think anything is wrong with the system, I just felt that when i saw the oil in the catch can, if there is a film in the intercooler, it will be counter productive to the supercharger.

worth cleaning now that I have the catch can running and the front end torn apart.
    Last edited by JeepLab; 11-08-2014 at 08:13 PM.

Awesome thread!! Everyone should be reading this. Can't wait to get your impressions after cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by gbaumann View Post
    Awesome thread!! Everyone should be reading this. Can't wait to get your impressions after cleaning.
    I have to say. You kicked this thing off gbaumann with the mag catch can thread.

I thought from your thread and the catch can would stop things from getting MORE gummed up with oil, (intercooler, blower). It turns out that driving with the catch can felt as if the system had been cleaned when it hadn't.

With regard to this overall experiment. I WAS going to -

- Strip the SC completely

- Clean all SC parts - Everyone, remember, this truck has been cross country, into the desert, in the fine dust of moab, and its got 14k miles since the SC was installed. If your SC is 6 months old, you probably dont have to do this. Id put the catch can on and call it a day.

- Turn truck back to stock - Drive it a little that way to see how much of a power loss i see. The SC has been on for 2 years and personally i have no recollection of the truck without it. Also it was supercharged before the 37s and gearing etc.

- Give the engine an inner cleaning. I just learned how to do this and its going to be a good video. If you know about amsoil, you know where im going.

- Install the Hi ALT pulley to feel the difference from stock to HI ALT. Should be like going from a scooter to an F-15.

The idea you just gave me -

- Dismantle SC - done.
    - Clean SC
    - Clean Engine
    - Re-install SC with standard pulley for before and after comparison of the cleaning. This way I can tell you all if this exercise is worth it.

Which route do you guys like?

SIDE NOTE - Ripp owners this whole thing so far is pretty easy. The one spot i ran into trouble was unbolting the SC without having removed the fan. Stupid. Take the fan out first. Its 4 bolts. I have no experience with this and am working alone. My team of mechanical geniuses is sitting this one out.

The pearl of wisdom here I think will be weather or not its worth it to open the blower itself. Im going to tackle that tomorrow. The intercooler is soo easy, I may take it out in a year and see if the catch can has kept it pristine.

If anyone wants a catch can, I told billet technology about our threads with their gear. I can probably get good pricing for anyone else that wants one. And if you have an SC of any brand, You need a catch can. Dont wait a year for your system gradually becomes less sharp then decide to spend the hundred bucks you should spend today.

My truck was instantly different with the can vs. without it. I think gbaumann will say the same thing. Different Superchargers RIPP vs Mag, but the can he and I have is the same can. (he has better pipes, I cheaped out with heater hose)
    Last edited by JeepLab; 11-09-2014 at 02:21 AM.

Just a thought Ross. But the catch can should have a drain back path that is gravity fed back to the crankcase. Otherwise it just continues to fill every time you punch it. Another words the can should be mounted higher than the hose feeding it. Then the oil will be able to drain back when the boost is not pushing air to the intake side. Does that make sense. Or did I just confuse you.

Thanks to gbaumann's great idea, I did my catch can install today. I haven't driven it yet, but I'm sure it will be better. I've put about 1000 miles on my Magnuson and noticed oil in the hoses when I took them off and replaced them with new hoses and the catch can.

I'm hoping that the intercooler will clean itself out over time now that little to no oil should be going through it. I used gbaumann's example from his thread, but I mounted the can to my battery tray instead of in the corner near the brake master cylinder to keep the hoses as short as possible.

Name:	021-small.jpg 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	1404

Name:	022-small.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	1405

Name:	023-small.jpg 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	1406
    Last edited by bo9roadking; 11-09-2014 at 04:38 PM.

I recomend putting hose clamps on those lines running to the catch can the slighest vacuum leak that has will cause your jeep to run weird