Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The Billet Technology guys told me that it didn't matter about weather the can was mounted above or below anything.

Does anyone know why you would mount it higher or lower?

If it's mounted higher so that the hose from the valve cover runs uphill to the can, then any oil that condenses on the walls of that hose would tend to run downhill back into the valve cover. If the catch can is low, that oil would tend to run downhill into the can.

I think the difference would be very small and not worth going through extra effort to mount the can higher.

I was thinking of something like this. With a drain back capability. If not by using a 3rd line then placing the can higher will allow the oil to drain back. The reason for the drain back is to reduce the amount of oil the air has to go thru to get to the intake. It might be overkill but this is the kind of setups that I use to use.
    http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merc...4#.VGF08ktN2f0

I think the reason for the drain back has nothing to do with efficiency/effectiveness of the catch can. It's simply so that the catch can does not need to be emptied. This is "OEM style" because the average person buying a new car doesn't want to deal with emptying oil catch cans in addition to oil changes. It would be a nifty setup if you had an easy/convenient place to run the drain hose to, but probably not worthwhile if it requires significant modifications to make it work.

Also the drain back feature on this would be completely different than simply mounting a standard catch can up high. The high mounting position will only cause oil in the hose that didn't yet make it to the can to drain back into the engine. The special drain back can allows all captured oil in the can to immediately drain back into the engine, minimizing overall oil level loss over time.

Yup what he said. It is to keep oil from building up in there can.

They should give the cans with the Superchargers. Its 100 bucks. Your spending 6k. For no other reason, but to make sure that the tune is working with reliable air flowing thru.

Anyone with a tune should toss a can in the kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoinkers View Post
    They should give the cans with the Superchargers. Its 100 bucks. Your spending 6k. For no other reason, but to make sure that the tune is working with reliable air flowing thru.

Anyone with a tune should toss a can in the kit.
    x2 on this. even if they charge a little more for it. it would be good to have this planned by the manufacturer. The tune would be more reliable if they cut out the oil gumming up the system

Are there pics coming of the condition inside the SC? Clean Dirty? Wet (oil) Dry?

Quote Originally Posted by Rexx19 View Post
    Are there pics coming of the condition inside the SC? Clean Dirty? Wet (oil) Dry?
    yep pics coming. Im trying to catch up. Headlights, SC tear apart, and I have a 1 month old baby at home. So I've had to get creative to make time to get into the garage.

Here are my feelings on the whole clean out process. -

I think the intercooler may be the most important part to clean out. Maybe I can get ripp to comment. I opened the SC itself and it really was not dirty inside. Someone who understands the oil vapor may be able to tell better than I can, but what I think from seeing were the oil was in my system, is that what gets back into the SC is oil vapor, and it goes thru the SC and then condenses in the intercooler. I'll open it all back up next year, and we will see if the catch can has eliminated the problem.

Now how does it drive? I just got it back together a few hours ago, and took it around the block to make sure i'd put everything back correctly. I havent really gotten on it, but I will and will report back.

Here are some pics as I took the SC Apart -

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RIPP Clean Out (2).jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	1409

Name:	RIPP Clean Out (3).jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	1410