Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by UselessPickles View Post
    The Pentastar has its throttle body mounted on a large intake plenum, then then has an intake runner going to each cylinder's intake port. The fuel injectors are in the lower intake manifold, inside each individual runner, very close to the intake ports. A throttle body spacer will have no impact on how the fuel mixes with the air, and will have very little impact on the volume of the intake plenum. The intake plenum itself is likely already acoustically tuned to enhance airflow at certain rpm ranges. A spacer could actually make things worse at those rpm ranges.
    Pickles - does this paragraph also apply to the older 3.8 engine that I have? No Pentastar for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
    Actually, $252.99. Already bought the exhaust, just deciding on the CAI.

edit: just purchased it.
    How do you like the way your jeep drives now? before changing it around? Does it feel slow?

Is sluggish performance whats making you look to engine mods to get back some power you've lost?

Quote Originally Posted by JeepLab View Post
    How do you like the way your jeep drives now? before changing it around? Does it feel slow?

Is sluggish performance whats making you look to engine mods to get back some power you've lost?
    I would say there is a bit of a lag, if you want to call it sluggish. It is hard to say exactly because I do local daily driving and forgot what it was like when it was stock. Sluggish on lower gears and low end I would say. Not terrible, but I figured it was worth a shot to get some more pep and response. I suppose if I did a side by side comparison to a stock one or the 2012 and up I would probably be a bit disappointed in mine but hopefully I will get what I am hoping for from these mods.
    Last edited by Dr. Evil; 12-04-2014 at 09:10 AM.

I would say there is a bit of a lag, if you want to call it sluggish. It is hard to say exactly because I do local daily driving and forgot what it was like when it was stock. Sluggish on lower gears and low end I would say. Not terrible, but I figured ir was worth a shot to get some more pep and response.
    what makes you hate the idea of gearing it?

Pickles - does this paragraph also apply to the older 3.8 engine that I have? No Pentastar for me.
    Yeah, same general design for the 3.8. And pretty much any engine from the last 20 years.

Flashpaq/Exhaust/CAI?

A throttle body spacer will give you absolutely zero gains on a fuel injected motor

"what makes you hate the idea of gearing it?"

No hate here. I just don't have the $1500 - $2000 nor do I feel that with my usage of local daily driving , no off roading, minimal highway and 9000 miles per year warrants the expense. If I can get a little more throttle response, mpg's and some punch, I would rather spend at least half the amount with the bolt on's. I get the up side to re gearing. Just feel it may be overkill for my needs. I look at it this way. It is relative to what my JK is now. With the bolt on's, I believe I will have a JK that rides, acts and feels different in a positive way. Now, if I compared it to another JK with re gearing, would I be jealous and realize the improvement over my bolt on's? Well, as long as I don't do that to myself, I won't know what I could be missing and therefore I will be satisfied with my plan. Again, it comes down to cost vs. usage vs. coming up with a happy medium to get a different feeling/riding JK. Some may not agree with my logic and I get that. This just seems right for me at the present time.
    Last edited by Dr. Evil; 12-04-2014 at 09:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2k13jk View Post
    A throttle body spacer will give you absolutely zero gains on a fuel injected motor
    ... except for throttle body injection systems. Basically the early EFI systems that were a direct replacement for the carburetter (and modern kits for upgrading old muscle cars to EFI).

"what makes you hate the idea of gearing it?"

No hate here. I just don't have the $1500 - $2000 nor do I feel that with my usage of local daily driving , no off roading, minimal highway and 9000 miles per year warrants the expense. If I can get a little more throttle response, mpg's and some punch, I would rather spend at least half the amount with the bolt on's. I get the up side to re gearing. Just feel it may be overkill for my needs. I look at it this way. It is relative to what my JK is now. With the bolt on's, I believe I will have a JK that rides, acts and feels different in a positive way. Now, if I compared it to another JK with re gearing, would I be jealous and realize the improvement over my bolt on's? Well, as long as I don't do that to myself, I won't know what I could be missing and therefore I will be satisfied with my plan. Again, it comes down to cost vs. usage vs. coming up with a happy medium to get a different feeling/riding JK. Some may not agree with my logic and I get that. This just seems right for me at the present time.
    Understood. And you did think it thru obviously.

Gearing is more than just the expense, its a roll of the dice with a gear job. Most invasive thing we've done. I think its even more invasive than the supercharger. The problem is that its a nightmare to correct a gear problem.

If you read "the truth about gears" you'll see my own case of problem gearing. Good yukon gears, a less good gear install job where i tried to save some money. Ended up doing it twice.

Out of stock on the CAI so I will wait. Just going with the tuner and exhaust for now. Maybe in the spring/summer I will do the CAI.