Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Welcome to JeepLab. Seems that there is finally someone other than myself who has the 3.8. I run 35's with a 2.5" lift and I use a Flashpaq Tuner. This is my daily driver but it also sees the earth in its natural habitat on occasion.

The Flashpaq will help out some but it's no substitute for regearing. I didn't buy a Jeep to go fast. I would be happy with just not loosing power on hills. The Flashpaq still doesn't overcome that. It's a relative minor solution for a bigger issue.

The exhaust is only going to let out what the engine is taking in. Aftermarket exhaust will be more streamlined and let out the exhaust more efficiently while maintaining proper back-pressure.

Just remember, no matter which route you take, you are driving a billboard.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteRavenRR View Post
    Welcome to JeepLab. Seems that there is finally someone other than myself who has the 3.8. I run 35's with a 2.5" lift and I use a Flashpaq Tuner. This is my daily driver but it also sees the earth in its natural habitat on occasion.

The Flashpaq will help out some but it's no substitute for regearing. I didn't buy a Jeep to go fast. I would be happy with just not loosing power on hills. The Flashpaq still doesn't overcome that. It's a relative minor solution for a bigger issue.

The exhaust is only going to let out what the engine is taking in. Aftermarket exhaust will be more streamlined and let out the exhaust more efficiently while maintaining proper back-pressure.

Just remember, no matter which route you take, you are driving a billboard.
    Thanks for the welcome. Yeah, there are a few of us 3.8 dinosaurs lol. I totally understand the flashpaq is not a substitute for gearing. I am not meaning for it to be. I also didn't buy the Jeep to go fast. As a matter of fact, I traded in a Mini Cooper with the supercharged engine for the Jeep. In saying this, that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to get all the performance out of it that I can WITHOUT re gearing. Not too many hills here in the Northeast so that isn't an issue.

So I have the Flashpaq and the aFe exhaust. Nothing installed yet. It may be a week or two until I install the exhaust. I am wondering how I should proceed from here.

1) Install the Flashpaq now and then install the new exhaust later.

2) Wait until I install the exhaust and then install the Flashpaq.

If I do #1, would I have to uninstall the Flashpaq and then re-install it again after the new exhaust is installed?

Go ahead and install/enjoy the Flashpaq tune now.

When you install the exhaust later, just follow this procedure to force the computer into "quick learn" mode. It will basically clear out long-term fuel trim memory and re-build the fuel trim memory more aggressively than normal (probably other things I don't know about as well)l: http://www.quadratec.com/jeep_knowle...article-89.htm

Quote Originally Posted by UselessPickles View Post
    Go ahead and install/enjoy the Flashpaq tune now.

When you install the exhaust later, just follow this procedure to force the computer into "quick learn" mode. It will basically clear out long-term fuel trim memory and re-build the fuel trim memory more aggressively than normal (probably other things I don't know about as well)l: http://www.quadratec.com/jeep_knowle...article-89.htm
    Thanks Pickles (you aren't useless lol). Besides this, would I have to reinstall the flashpaq?

No need to re-install the flashpaq tune after adding exhaust. All the included tunes on the Flashpaq are for "stock or lightly modified engines".

Same tune will work with or without CAI and exhaust. You could even skip the computer reset procedure, and it would eventually adjust fuel trims as needed. Resetting just makes it happen more quickly, and may reset/relearn other important things as well. I haven't been able to find any details on what exactly the reset procedure accomplishes.

No need to re-install the flashpaq tune after adding exhaust. All the included tunes on the Flashpaq are for "stock or lightly modified engines".

Same tune will work with or without CAI and exhaust. You could even skip the computer reset procedure, and it would eventually adjust fuel trims as needed. Resetting just makes it happen more quickly, and may reset/relearn other important things as well. I haven't been able to find any details on what exactly the reset procedure accomplishes.
    Thanks. So are you saying that resetting the computer has nothing to do with the flashpaq and therefore doesn't negate the original flashpaq install prior to the exhaust install? The flashpaq install is still there after computer reset? Sorry for the questions. I am just new at the whole tuner concept.

Correct. Resetting the computer does not remove the installed tune. It only clears out some "learned" memory and puts the computer into a "quick learn" mode to re-learn the stuff that was reset.

Correct. Resetting the computer does not remove the installed tune. It only clears out some "learned" memory and puts the computer into a "quick learn" mode to re-learn the stuff that was reset.
    Got it. Thanks man!

Give us a pic of your rig!